Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thicker batting? >

Thicker batting?

Thicker batting?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 AM

Growing up there were a few quilts at my Grannie's and I remember them being thick and heavy. That's what I want. So far I've used polyester batting and cotton batting. The first lapquilts I made were with polyester. One of them my Grannie used in the nursing home. It got washed probably 2x a week. Its so thin now....its still warm just thin. Ds' quilt that made last year I used cotton. Its washed 1x a week usually cause he drags it all over the house. Its warm but it feels thin. I'm ready to just start using blankets to get the thickness I want. Is there another batting that feels heavy? I guess its possible the quilts I remember had old blankets in them though. Sadly none of them survived.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps wool batting would do what you want.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:16 AM

I've heard of people using double batting. Maybe try a high loft polyester along with a cotton. Just a suggestion, maybe someone here can share their experience.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 AM

Wool batting would give you more weight, but I don't know that it would give the "poof" you're looking for...
Old 11-07-2010, 07:10 AM

My grandma used to use flannel blankets. I know some people used their old blankets for the batting. That would give you the heavyness I think.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Grama's quilts were all made with old wool blankets for batting... they were heavy and warm too. I loved the feeling of the heaviness of them :D:D:D
Old 11-07-2010, 03:08 PM

They may have been made with down. My grandmother did a lot of down quilts. They were wonderful, but heavy. She did quilt them pretty tightly to keep the down in place. I even remember her harvesting the down from her ducks about every 6 weeks, it always made me cry for those poor little ducks
Old 11-07-2010, 03:49 PM

I am currently quilting a quilt for a customer with 2 poly batts - the back batting is from Hobbs and the top is Quilter's Dream Puff. The Quilter's Dream Puff is the thicker of the two by more then double. It's really nice for showing off the quilting, but I don't think you could quilt with both battings on a DSM.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
I am currently quilting a quilt for a customer with 2 poly batts - the back batting is from Hobbs and the top is Quilter's Dream Puff. The Quilter's Dream Puff is the thicker of the two by more then double. It's really nice for showing off the quilting, but I don't think you could quilt with both battings on a DSM.
what is a DSM?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:22 PM

Domestic Sewing Machine - what we piece on - and when you quilt on it you make your sandwich and move the material around to quilt it. On a longarm the material is stationary and you move the machine around to do the quilting.