Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble sizing/hand quilting ?'s >

Thimble sizing/hand quilting ?'s

Thimble sizing/hand quilting ?'s

Old 08-18-2014, 02:59 PM

Question Thimble sizing/hand quilting ?'s

I'm looking into Jean Brown's method of hand quilting. She uses the Needleart Guild Thimble on her upper hand and something called Aunt Becky's Thimble on the underneath hand. Has anyone tried this? The Needleart Guild Thimble is sold by sizes starting with a size 4. How would I determine what size to order? There was nothing on the website I was looking at explaining how to determine size.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

I think thimble shopping is one of things you should do in person. If you have a quilt show in your area with vendors, you can try them all out.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:28 PM

could the sizing match your ring size? Don't know. Try contacting the manufacturer or supplier to see if they can advise you so you order the right fit for you. I have thought about trying the Aunt Becky too but have not gotten around to getting one ordered. I quilt on a Grace hoop and it would probably work well with that.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 PM

I remember when buying a Roxanne thimble (have since switched to Thimblelady method), they had excellent instructions for fitting the thimble. I can't remember the method now, but if you go to Colonial Needle website and check out the Roxanne thimbles, you should find it. I believe I needed a set of round plastic finger sizers, which they also sold. I'm not familiar with the quilting method you mentioned, though, so I don't know if this fitting method would be applicable.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I think thimble shopping is one of things you should do in person. If you have a quilt show in your area with vendors, you can try them all out.
I agree with Tartan. This is something that must be done in person either at a LQS or at a quilt show. You might even contact the person that is selling them. Most of them normally have the quilt shows they are planning to attend.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 AM

Here's my 2 cents. I agree, for the most part, that thimble shopping should be done in person. The thimble you mention requires pushing your needle with the top of your finger. Personally, I find those thimbles a) difficult to use, and b) painful to use. I, over time, migrated to a Thimblelady thimble. These thimbles have you pushing with the pad of your finger, not the tip. I find them to be far more comfortable to quilt with and I can quilt for much longer periods of time.

Both Roxanne's and Thimblelady's thimbles have really nice, deep recesses to hold the needle. If I were to buy a Roxanne (and I did try some on) I would certainly do so in person and have it correctly sized. If you go to the Thimblelady website (http://www.thimblelady.com/) they give very accurate fitting instructions. Not being sure, I originally purchased a plastic version of this thimble. Following their sizing instructions, the one I ordered fit perfectly and was a joy to quilt with. I eventually wore it out and upgraded to the stainless steel version. Far more reasonably priced than a sterling silver Roxanne. Stainless steel is harder than sterling and I'm on my second stainless one. Something to think about as well.

Can't comment on the Aunt Becky tool. Haven't tried one. I just live with chewed up fingers.