Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thimble thimble whos got the thimble >

thimble thimble whos got the thimble

thimble thimble whos got the thimble

Old 10-25-2014, 04:43 PM

I don't often use a thimble, but sometimes my finger gets so sore that I have to. For some reason I seem to hit the same place on my middle finger and that really hurts. I also seem to hit the same hole when I'm trying to back stitch and that splits the thread. I wish I could get used to using a thimble, but I can't decide which finger to put it on.
Sue
Old 10-25-2014, 04:52 PM

I got used to using a thimble by putting it on my finger and wearing it all day...for a "number" of days..LOL. The thimble wants to stay on your finger when the finger is held upside down,and be loose enough that the finger tip doesn't throb. Get a practice project and practice a couple of times a day..it'll become second nature.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:56 PM

I use a metal thimble that has a ridge around the top so the needle does not slip off, after years of sewing with out a thimble I found the way for me to used to one was to wear it all day, and to keep it on, wet finger before putting on thimble, really keeps it in place, good luck, I could not do any hand sewing without mine now, and a couple of weeks ago, Midnight knocked my thimble off thr table and still have nor found it, so ordered 4 more just in case LOL
Old 10-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
I don't often use a thimble, but sometimes my finger gets so sore that I have to. For some reason I seem to hit the same place on my middle finger and that really hurts. I also seem to hit the same hole when I'm trying to back stitch and that splits the thread. I wish I could get used to using a thimble, but I can't decide which finger to put it on.
Sue
Wear as many as you want. The covered finger you use the most will become the one you use all the time. I wear a big thimble on my left hand thumb because for some reason I tend to push the needle into it when sewing on binding.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:17 AM

I, too, use a thimblelady thimble. Like the fact that it has the deepest dimples of any readily available; the fit; and pushing with the pad of your finger as well. Far more comfortable for me. Thimbles in general do take getting used to. Once you do, however, there is no going back.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I use a thimblelady thimble, which fits down on the finger rather than on the tip. With her method, there is no pricking of the underneath finger. Her book is called 'Perfect Hand Quilting without Pain'. Roxanne McElroy's book 'That Perfect Stitch' is also very inspiring, and has excellent photos and descriptions. Yes, you can learn to do it! Just keep at it. It took me a long time to get it.
....out of curiosity went to amazon.....PRICEY!!!!!! Went to her website......PRICEY!!!!too! Really would have to think twice about that investment.....would like to "try" that method out, but not at that price!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:43 AM

Geri B, are you referring to the book? The thimble? I bought the book used on amazon, I don't think it was much, around $20? The thimble a few years back was $15 purchased on line.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:41 PM

My finger is too fat for a thimble. So I use a goatskin leather thimble on my middle "pushing" finger. After it's broken in, it 's really comfortable to wear.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:52 PM

I like my fingernails, so an enclosed thimble doesn't help me. Can't get used to them either. So I've resorted to the little round pads made out of leather. Because it's what I've now gotten accustomed to, it's what I use all the time.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
....out of curiosity went to amazon.....PRICEY!!!!!! Went to her website......PRICEY!!!!too! Really would have to think twice about that investment.....would like to "try" that method out, but not at that price!
I never purchased the book. Initially I bought the plastic version of her thimble for about $15. I later upgraded to the stainless steel version - about $25. I am on my second s/s of her thimble. After what I spent on leather, various metal ones that didn't fit correctly or didn't hold the needle well enough I don't the the $65 on 3 thimbles that actually work well (for me) is not that expensive. Not compared to some of the other tools we use for this craft.