Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimbles? >

Thimbles?

Thimbles?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:37 PM

Default Thimbles?

Hi
I started making a grandmothers garden quilt, I work on it as I watch tv. It is my real first experience with hand quilt making. I sew binding on by hand but that's about it. Because of all the hand sewing I have been doing, my thumbs and middle fingers are very sore and are splitting. These are the digits I use to push the needle with. Being left handed I can sew with both hands.
Can anyone suggest a good thimble/thumble (is that even a word) that you have used and liked.
Thanks a bunch.
Liz
Old 02-14-2013, 06:04 PM

I use "Ultra thimble". It's a little metal disk, smaller than a dime, that you attach a little sticky pad to and place on the area of your finger where the needle hits. I just couldn't use a regular thimble. I tried all kinds before I came across this one. I use it for hand applique and always use it to sew on bindings.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

If you have a local quilt shop most carry a variety of thimbles. You really need to go in and try them out to see what type you like. I have a John James for my index finger that I like. Funny that you should ask about a thumble, they do exist because I have an antique one. It has the top open and I believe it is a tailor's thimble for the thumb. Do you call it a thumble if it's for your thumb?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Banned

I started a thread some weeks ago asking how quilters learned to use a thimble. You might look for it. There were some interesting comments.
I use a cheapie....with a depression in the top. I learned way back when I was in the Army and sewing on patches. Had to learn to use one as it was so hard to sew through the patch. I'm still trying to decide how to teach one to use the thimble.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 PM

i use an old brass thimble, i don't remember where i got it from. i wear it on my middle finger of the hand that holds the needle.

my sister can not use a thimble. she swears by duct tape. she wraps pieces of duct tape around her finger. it works for her, but i can not use duct tape.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 AM

I use moleskin, you can find it in any pharmacy, walmart, target, ect. You can cut it to any size to fit your fingers. I have tried a couple thimbles andI just can't get used to having something like that on my finger. Tonight while sitting and getting ready to work on more of my Grndmothers Flower Garden I happened to notice my moleskin sitting there and decided to give it a try, well it worked, it's cheap and I will continue to use it and recommend it to those who just can't work with a thimble. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...LOL Good luck.

Rosie
Old 02-15-2013, 04:37 AM

I've used most of the "methods" mentioned above. Have an assortment of things I've tried. I end up with the thimble pushed to the side. When the finger/s get too sore to continue, I stop for a couple of days and the fingers are healed. Makes hand quilting a very long process. I know about the thimbles that are tailor made for the thimble finger, but don't want to spend that kind of money for something that may not work for me. I might say, I have not tried the duct tape but have tried bandaids.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:31 AM
Banned

I just use a thimble for my middle finger so my thumb and middle of my other hand (from feeling it from the bottom) are rough and poked. I know they have rubber like things you can put on these fingers but I'm assuing you wouldn't be able to feel the needle. For the middle finger I push with I just use a regular thimble. Took some practice but finally got it.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:32 AM

I do primarily handquilting and a lot of it. I use a leather thimble. I wear it on my right middle finger and another one on my left thumb. They are made of deerskin and have a small plastic disk inside that is located where the needle usually lands. There are several leather thimbles around. The one I like most is tan in color and all leather. There is also one that is gray and has a blue elastic insert. The gray one is heavier leather and not as flexable. Before I became a quilter almost 40 years ago my mother tried to get me to use a thimble when I sewed. It was not until I became a quilter that I did. Now I even use it when I am sewing on buttons.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 AM

This is an interesting site for making a thimble. I have not made one, but thinking about trying it. I also have problems finding the "perfect" thimble, and I've been trying for over 50 years!

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00077.asp