Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things I do differently than I did a year ago... >

Things I do differently than I did a year ago...

Things I do differently than I did a year ago...

Old 11-27-2011, 11:14 PM

Default Things I do differently than I did a year ago...

I just began quilting in the Fall of 2010 so it's fun to see how my projects have evolved in the past year.

I'm no longer afraid of binding - even though I do pull the backing to the front instead of making a separate binding. (By this time next year I may be laughing at that.) I started with the "birthing" or "Pillowcase" style of sewing right sides together and turning the quilt.

I laugh in the face of mitered corners. Last year I was squaring them off and calling it good enough. Now even odd angles are not a problem.

I use those double pins to hold corners in place. They are such fine wire I can get the foot right over them before I pull them out and being double-pronged they hold both edges of the corner nicely in place.

I used to cut the batting even with the quilt top, but now I leave a bit - maybe 1/4"? - and like the look and feel of the border better.

Triangles were scary - and now they are old hat. HSTs? no problem.

Though I may still have a wonky bit here and there or a seam line that's not completely straight things are much better.

Working on the Farmer's Wife Sampler blocks has really improved my skill levels - don't know that I would have been up to some challenges without that. It's so easy to get comfortable with what you already know rather than branching out to new challenges.

Can't wait to see where to go from here!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:52 PM

Starch is my friend. Who knew? (Though that has evolved to Best Press when I feel like a splurge.)

A stash is a fun thing to have. Over the Thanksgiving holiday I made 4 complete table toppers and one pieced top for a 5th - all from fabric Wal-mart had on SUPER sale last year. I know not the best fabric, but for the projects which will see use just once a year - it's okay.

It is better to mark than to guess. (But DON'T use blue chalk! I have issues with blue chalk.)

Anyone else? How have things changed in your world?
Old 11-28-2011, 03:28 AM

I have started making custom quilts for people. Each quilt requested has presented a different technique and challange. Not just constructing the quilt, but in designing. I have expanded my knowledge in using Quilt Pro, my design program; Photoshop, for pictoral quilts; making tee shirt quilts.

The next area I want to expand in FMQ. I play a little with it, but want to do so much more.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:34 AM

Yes, I am starting to branch out to - I am working on a mariner's compass for a paying friend - have never paper-pieced before - bindings are getting better and better - I still need to work on fmq - I have a longarm but still struggle with that - but I am more confident in the last year and half.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:39 AM

Wow, great topic! Within the last year my skills have definately improved. I've tried paper pieceing, applique, English paper piecing, and FMQ. I've taken a mystery quilt workshop from a national teacher and two regional teachers took all the mystery out of triangles and making sure HST points don't dissapear! I've bought a new "to go" machine and more fabric than I had bought in my lifetime prior! It's been a great year!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:50 AM

I've joined a Guild and like to go to as many Quilt Workshops (presented by the speaker at our meeting) as I can. I still work part-time so can't go as much as I'd like. Also, I participate in Shop Hops. Love to visit the Quilt stores to see different patterns and fabrics!

Great topic!
Old 11-28-2011, 06:26 AM

I have been quilting for over 10 years now and would love to hear more about these double pins. That's why I love quilting and computers. There is always something new to learn!

What do the pins look like, and where do you get them from?
Thanks,
Julie

Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
I

I use those double pins to hold corners in place. They are such fine wire I can get the foot right over them before I pull them out and being double-pronged they hold both edges of the corner nicely in place.

!
Old 11-28-2011, 06:50 AM

In the past year I've completely re-organized my sewing room which really helped me get more done. It's so hard to for me to get inspired in a mess. I learned how to ladder stitch my bindings so the stitches are almost invisible. I've learned to use glue instead of pins on the same bindings. I've really improved my handquilting skills since I can't afford to pay a LA'er anymore. I've also gotten better at FMQ and learned how to do QAYG. I think I've completed more projects and am still slogging through my ufo's in the hopes that sometime in the next year, my ufo's will all be finished. Maybe then, I can finally make ME a quilt!!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:06 AM

Good topic, I agree! Not sure what all I tried for the first time this year, but my love for quilting continues to grow. It has also become more challenging with a retired hubby home 24/7 now. He recently set up his studio & is back into doing his hand tooled leather work, & that is helping, both of us already, thank goodness. I have played with applique more this year, & find I love back basting the best. Have played with some machine quilting, the Sharon Peterson way, with rubber cement. It's nice too, but seems like more prep work, so may switch to back basting those Rose of Sharon designs too. I have made lots of blocks this year, that seems to hold my interest. Thinking in this new year, I am going to start figuring out creative ways to put some of them together & make good use of them! Slowly getting use to this new board set up, I really have liked it here, & didn't want to leave! Getting use to it now & still learning my way around, but glad I stayed!... Enjoy the holidays everyone, they will be here & gone before we know it!...
Old 11-28-2011, 07:18 AM

I have been quilting since '03. I usually try and 'challenge' myself and try something new. Some will stay in my repertoire, some will not, but at least I gave it a try.