Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things I've learned the hard way and what I do about them now >

Things I've learned the hard way and what I do about them now

Things I've learned the hard way and what I do about them now

Old 10-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

1) Some fabrics bleed (the color keeps coming out in wash water) and won't stop. I will try to return the fabric - I save receipts - if it was a "find" somewhere there obviously is no receipt - I throw the fabric away. No need for anyone else to have a headache.

2) Some fabrics shrink a lot. Had big flowers appliqued on a skirt that I bought at a garage sale. The skirt was washed and the flowers puckered a lot. I always wash the fabrics before cutting.

3) Rotary cutter blades are supposed to be sharp. It's good to keep fingers out of the way. It's good to sheathe/close the blade when the cutter is put down.

4a) Some fabrics look great together in the store. Then sometimes they don't look so great when put together in the block. It's better to "waste" a few dollars at this point than to hate the whole project for the next few years. So I will take the few hours to be happier with it when I can, then to look at it and say "I wish I would have . . . "

4b) Occasionally the cutting directions or templates are wrong. I now make one test block before cutting everything.
I also do a "test strip cutting/sewing" when I change machines or change rulers to see if I end up with what I am expecting/hoping it should be.

5) One can do very nice piecing on an older, plain jane machine.

6) Experience is the best teacher. Trying to tell someone what "good quality fabric" is sort of like trying to explain what an orange tastes like to someone that has never seen or smelled one.

7) Sometimes one can have "too much" of anything. It becomes harder to function when things get too cluttered and crowded. (I hate to admit to this one)

8) The quilting books and magazines tend to be repetitious. The comparatively original/unique designs are worth buying.

9) It's okay to not like some techniques. (Or not be able to understand how to do them.)

10) Some of my rulers seemed to have wrong markings. They didn't match any of my others. (that one I gave to a friend - with a warning that it was off - I should have thrown it)

11) Check the measurements on the things like June Tailor's pressing boards or ironing board covers to make sure that they are accurate.

12) Accuracy is only "relative" - if it looks good enough and lays well enough - then it probably is "good enough" (This is the kind of thinking that comes about after being around engineers)
Old 10-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

No. 5 is important to remember for all of us.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for all of the words of wisdom :D:D:D
Old 10-09-2010, 10:22 AM
np3
Power Poster

What a great list, and accurate. I have learned many of these the hard way.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:25 AM

Good rules! Boy did I learn #3 the hard way LOL!
Old 10-09-2010, 10:26 AM
np3
Power Poster

Good list. ANd accurate too. I have learned many of these the hard way.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:40 AM

7) Sometimes one can have "too much" of anything. It becomes harder to function when things get too cluttered and crowded. (I hate to admit to this one)

Boy oh boy, you can say that again. :-)
Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 AM

Excellent advice to all of us! Thanks for posting this.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 AM

Excellent advice to all of us! Thanks for posting this. I should print it out and post it in my quilting room.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:52 AM

All are so true. Every lesson I've learned in life I've learned the hard way. I was always to hard headed to take advice from others. I've tried to tell my DD that "I'm sharing this with you so you don't have to learn the hard life lessons I did". Does she listen...................NO!