Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter >

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Old 11-29-2010, 03:06 PM

Are there some people who just plain shouldn't be quilters even though they really want to be? I have done a few quilts in the past and have been pretty pleased with the results. They were made with squares with different embroideries on them alternating with plain squares of fabric and they looked pretty decent for a beginner. I think those efforts must have been beginner's luck. This year I decided to get more serious about my quilting and with every quilt I get worse. Seriously, I don't seem to be able to do anything right. I couldn't even manage to cut straight strips, so my sweet hubby bought me the Accuquilt Go and I STILL can't get straight strips. I pin everything before I sew pieces together and they still manage to move around and then I'm tearing things back apart to sew them together again. I look at all of the beautiful quilts on this site and it just makes me want to cry. I have so many great ideas in my head that I want to make and just can't execute them. I now have four quilt tops that are in various stages of completion and have run into problems with all of them. Any advice from the expert quilters out there?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Cyn

Hang in there! I don't worry about perfection and just enjoy the process. I have hearned how to fudge on just about the whole process ;)
Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM

have you invested in a 1/4" foot for your sewing machine, that way every seam is the same.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

Go back to basics. Pick a simple pattern like rail fence or nine patch. Do a baby quilt for a start. Remember to enjoy your quilting. Good Luck.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

Most of my quilts give me problems somewhere along the way. Just keep going. It will get better.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Banned

I'm a new quilter myself but have really benefited so far by using Sharon Schamber's method of using Elmer's School Glue for basting the seams before sewing. It made all the difference for me, especially dealing with my disability. She has some free videos that demonstrate how, and why, she does it.

Try this link:
http://sharonschambernetwork.com/Cla...The-Angel.aspx
Old 11-29-2010, 03:28 PM

I use my seam ripper as much as my machine! lol... Try taking a few classes. I did that and got a lot of helpful tips that saved me from being bald.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:37 PM

Hang in there Gina, it's part of the journey. I use a strip of painters tape to mark the 1/4" seam on my machine. It keeps my seam more accurate than just using 1/4" foot. I also use my seam ripper- more some days than others. Don't give up.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:42 PM

I use my seam ripper alot too. I use to be so mad when using it. Now I know it's part of quilting.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Lots of good suggestions have already been posted. Why not stick with pre-cuts if you're having trouble cutting. There are some great layer cake and jelly roll patterns on the Moda website. Keep it simple and take one step at a time. Once you feel confident with the sewing, move on to cutting. Remember - your worst critic is you. If it's not perfect don't sweat it. I've got some examples of really bad cutting and sewing in my collection but I'm proud of every one of them. I learned something with each.

My number one suggestion: Don't be so hard on yourself.