Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking about longarm certification class in TX >

Thinking about longarm certification class in TX

Thinking about longarm certification class in TX

Old 11-26-2016, 08:03 AM

I think you have gotten some great advise! Think of this as test driving a car. You might not buy the first model you drive, but driving one will help you narrow your requirements. Also pick the brains of people you know who own long arms (in person as well as here). Most long armers are more than willing to tell you why they picked the one they did. I finally found my favorite one but I had 3 set ups before I got there! Each one taught me something...but I am glad I am done!
Old 11-26-2016, 08:20 AM

well I do suggest renting time on a longarm and yes they do require you to be certified to operate it would give you a feel for it and most important if you want to pursue getting a longarm I think it is like cars all are different but still have the basics for operating take the plunge
Old 11-26-2016, 08:37 AM

My dealer is Connie Keller. She has a great personality and has always been very helpful. I bought a used longarm through her, later had her come out and upgrade the table and just recently she came out to help me finish installing it after it had set disassembled for two years. So I have dealt with her since 2009 and no complaints.

I'm in north Dallas send me a message if you would like to come over and try the APQS at your own pace.

Last edited by Pagzz; 11-26-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:57 AM

When I was looking for a quilting machine, I automatically assumed I needed to get a long arm. I was lucky enough to live very close to the Nolting factory, and I went there to talk to them. They let me just play on all their sample machines to see what I liked best, a good two hours. I was shocked to find out I don't like to long arm! The handles made me feel disconnected from the fabric, and I missed the tactile experience of holding the fabric in my hands. I also found out I don't like to stand while quilting. They got me a wonderful stool, adjusted the frame so I could use it. It still didn't feel right. I was so disappointed, but very, very happy I had tried it out first (does that make any sense?). I e entially discovered sit down machines, and that is what I ended up with. It satisfies my need to tactile fabric and is still much easier to use then a domestic.

Summary: Definitely find someplace to try a long arm before buying. I think the certification class would be a great way to find out what you do and do not like.

Pam
Old 11-26-2016, 02:04 PM

I took a class in my town to be certified to use their long arm machine. I was scared but the owner who was our teacher was very nice and I felt we had lots of hands on. The day I came back to do my own quilt was another great experience. I would highly recommend doing this.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:52 PM

Connie Keller is my APQS dealer and sold a Lenni to me. This is the smallest and least expensive of the APQS machines. A certification class doesn't take much time -- or require much cash investment -- and I think you are right to take such a class. Such a class would give you the opportunity to use several longarm machine models, to talk to people who quilt for others, and learn about the options for each type of machine that you might want to consider in making the purchase. Connie Keller has all APQS models in her store. She can also demonstrate the APQS software that drives that brand of machine in case you are interested that upgrade. (I have it, I love it!)

Connie is a great gal, will take all the time you need to get comfortable with the machines, and has a wonderful, bubbly personality to boot.

I don't know Nanc Christopherson, so I cannot comment on her certification courses.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:06 PM

Michelle--definitely go ahead and take a certification class--it will give you all the basics on how to use a long arm machine and while it would be nice to take with a dealer of the kind of machine that you might eventually buy, since you don't know that yet, it really doesn't matter--they are all based on the same principals (I've taken many long arm classes at shows and used a number of different machines other than the brand I own). Certification classes are a great way to start and find out whether you might actually enjoy quilting on a long arm. If you think it was a good experience after the class, definitely rent time to quilt one or several of your own quilts on a long arm. With each quilt you will gain more confidence and expertise and your design work will really advance. Down the road you may decided to take the plunge into long arm ownership or you may decide you hate it--but either way you will have made a wise, smaller investment on deciding about a major investment! And yes, you will learn more techniques on FMQ
Old 11-27-2016, 03:53 AM

I'm in the Connie Keller camp also. Last spring I bought Kimmy Brunner's Millenium & when it arrived had Connie check it out after set up to make sure everything was ok. I've also been to her shop in Lewisville & see many who have taken her certification classes & rent time on her machines. In talking to them, they are very happy with her class & turn out some beautiful quilt.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:33 AM

As an owner of a HQ Avante, I would definitely recommend you take a class from the APQS dealer. I have heard such wonderful things about their machines. My Avante is difficult to deal with the tension so personally I would not recommend their company. My opinion only.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:24 PM

I would like to comment as a person who did NOT do any of the very wise things that you are being told, and you re aware of. I visited a friend and stitched a few things. My name a funny looking 'feather', and fell in love with longarm quilting. Not made of money, I purchased a used HQ16, have had NO PROBLEMS, but lack of experience, exposure and time on the machine, I find myself kind of intimidated. BUT I have a terrific friend, 30 miles away for backup. BUT I highly recommend 'hands on' time. AND classes would be great with others because sometimes another person will think of questions that won't occur to you until you are on your way home, IF you are like me! ; }