Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking of opening a quilt shop... >

Thinking of opening a quilt shop...

Thinking of opening a quilt shop...

Old 02-02-2010, 01:21 PM

If you do go with the internet store, please let me know how to find it.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Banned

Opening your own business takes a LOT more than just finding out the price of wholesale fabric and the profit you could make. For your profit margin you have ALL the business expenses to consider. Rent of the building, insurance, displays, power, phone, price of credit card acceptance... and so much more.
I would love to open my own shop, husband would be behind me all the way on it. The first thing that got me was the price of wholesale fabrics. The reason quilt shops charge so much per yard is that they have to pay so much themselves.
My husband and I have had our own business and I've managed/directed one or two. Self employment is a 24/7 job.
Do LOTS of investigating before you take that big step.
I haven't ruled out my own shop yet either. Would like to get into the longarm business too. Need to try one out first! LOL

Best of luck in your pursuit.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:01 PM

I would check to see if you have a SCORE group near you. They are business people that provide training and mentoring for Small Business Owners and entrapreneurs. We have a great one in San Diego. They can help you with a business plan and working out the figures.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:01 PM

You should be able to live for at least a year with no income from the shop. You should also have at least 3 month's worth of operating capitol in the bank.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM

If you go to a good quilt shop and they are selling fabric at $10 a yard. Most likely they paid $5 a yard but remember with all the over head costs of a business, you actual profit might only be 1.50 to 2.50 a yard. You have to sell a lot of yards to make any money.

Do you have competition in the area you live in? You are listed as in hiding so don't know where in the country you are.

I would also check with your local quilt guilds and see where those ladies buy most of their materials. If they are a Walmart/Joanne's buyer, you'll never make it.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:16 PM

Lots of great advice here. I too have been thinking of opening a shop.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Dear Quilting in the Rain,
You are very brave in my book. The advice listed here seems to be very sound advice. I wish you the best in researching and putting together a business in a field you love. Just be very careful and plan each step well-educated in the possible pitfalls that may or may not come your way. Linda
Old 02-03-2010, 04:31 PM
SC

There is some great advice here. Cost of your fabric is only a small part of the overall picture. There is much more overhead to think about. And, yes, by all means check with your accountant. Having your own shop may seem like a lot of fun, but it is also a LOT of work!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Banned

Hi all! I don't want to open a shop, just an online shop. I collect antique and vintage postcards and create my own fabric out of that. I make sure of the copyright issue, and when in doubt, will hire a artist to repaint the picture "after the work of", and sidestep any legal problems. I like having the oil painting of the work in my house, and I like being able to have it printed for friends that want to use it in their quilt projects. Hopefully, sometime this Fall, I will get a website up to share what I do and encourage others that are interested in doing their own fabric to do so. I have found a couple of great fabric printers and use Fabric On Demand. Unbelievable customer service!!! And their product is quite good! So, I can print my design panels and make a profit. I would hate to be real big and do this. I guess this is just a way to share what you love with others. I don't know if there is a way to post pictures, or, if I did know how, I could post some of the vintage art pieces that people like. I hate to see this art be forgotten, so that is why I incorporated it into my quilting!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Banned

To answer your initial question - $4.00-$5.00 per yd depending on the brand. I was lucky recently to get some brand name that had been reduced for $2.50 per yd. Check out web site for New England Quilt Supply. They list the suggested retail price and wholesale cost would be 1/2 of what is listed. It sounds like you have a passion to do this but in my opinion now is not the time to go into the independent quilt shop busiess. However, the best thing would be to attend the fall Quilt Market in Houston. Check their requirements for attending and see if you can meet any and go.