Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking Outside the Box >

Thinking Outside the Box

Thinking Outside the Box

Old 09-20-2015, 10:16 AM

Not always. Just when I "feel" like it needs something more.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:21 AM

I tell my DH that "one day, I'm going to make something by a pattern, with just the right amount of fabric, etc". I have come close! LOL Usually, if I do want to make a certain pattern, I just dig in my stash and try to find right amount of yardage. Sometimes I will go shopping for maybe one of the fabrics.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:36 AM

I pretty much stay in the comfort zone since I'm not a real creative person, however, I do try to add a small personal touch here and there.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

My sister alters everything that she sees. I designed a quilt that I call "Pipe Dream" and added little "leaks" in the pipes here and there. It was fun. Thinking about doing another one.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:35 PM

I guess you can say I usually go outside the box. I'll find a pattern I like and then make it my own whether in the fabrics I choose, the layout and then in the quilting of it. Don't we all pretty much put our own personal touch in the quilt we make?
Old 09-20-2015, 05:58 PM

I'm in the outside of the box group- I want what I make to be unique-I don't purchase kits because I've never found one that I could agree with the fabric choices- so I lit up my own projects!
Old 09-20-2015, 10:17 PM

I never like repeating patterns and never follow the pattern exactly. Surely that is what a creative craft is for individuality.
I do things my way not to the rules of the quilt police. I followed rules all my working life , now I am free to fly like a bird and enjoy my quilting.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:43 AM

I'm a born rule follower, people pleaser and little OCD, so I get really uncomfortable when I stray too far from a pattern. i might add an inner border or and extra border, or possibly change a block in some way, but generally, quilting is more soothing for me if I'm not trying to change a pattern in big ways. That being said, I hate kits. I want my quilts to be my choice of fabrics, even if when I'm done I wish I had changed out a fabric or two.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:01 AM

I've only been quilting for about 1 1/2 years so I don't have a vast range of experience as some on this Board. In that time, I've only purchase 1 pattern (Bargello) that I am following ... although I guess I'm "out of the box" on this as well if enlarging the pattern from a wall hanging to a lap quilt/throw size counts.

All my other quilts have been my own designs and it's not uncommon for me to start with one idea in mind but alter that idea/design during the piecing. I guess you could say I've only been "in the box" once so far. LOL
Old 09-21-2015, 04:15 AM

I have only purchased one quilt kit and followed it almost exactly. I had several people remark that they had seen that quilt hanging in the local quilt store. Since the I rarely complete a pattern exactly as shown but never use the same fabrics or colors. That seems to be my jumping off point. I now add other things and embellishments-just having fun with my quilting.