Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking Outside the Box >

Thinking Outside the Box

Thinking Outside the Box

Old 09-24-2015, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Never heard of "broderie perse" so I looked it up. Have done this a few times. Didn't know this was the name for it. Learn something every day on this board.
I still don't know what "broderie perse" means. So I have to look it up too!

I looked it up, and this is what I found. - French for "Persian embroidery") is a style of appliqué embroidery which uses printed elements to create a scene. - Now I know and it makes sense.

Last edited by maviskw; 09-24-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I still don't know what "broderie perse" means. So I have to look it up too!

I looked it up, and this is what I found. - French for "Persian embroidery") is a style of appliqué embroidery which uses printed elements to create a scene. - Now I know and it makes sense.
Never done it personally--but you cut out a printed design from fabric, usually a floral, and then applique it to the top fabric.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:55 PM

I can't stick to a pattern to save my soul !! I get started and think; I'll just follow this step by step; then bam.....I'm off changing things around. Drives my husband nuts; cause I usually ask him for help since I have changed the measurements ! LOL its what keeps us going
Old 09-24-2015, 09:04 PM

Inside vs Outside.... It depends
For me this is traditional vs art
Or: be part of the group or be unique
Or: get cooperation of the masses vs do your own thing

Just today, a group was discussing the strip poker with 2 1/2" strips at the next guild meeting. I said I'd rather have 1 1/2" strips. I was told I have a reputations for stirring the pot.

Then someone asked for my muffin recipe. Well, after I include the changes I made, it would be my origonal and I could publish it without copyright infringement.

But then I wanted help with a project of 34 log cabin quilts. So they're scrappy, but the same pattern.

Is this topic, contentment vs creativity? Or maybe "follow the leader" vs "being the leader"

What was the question, anyway?

Old 09-26-2015, 04:46 PM

We are a seasoned group of quilters based upon the answers and how each of you tweak a pattern, etc. Bravo!
Sandy
Old 09-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

I think it makes sense to "follow the rules" until one knows enough about the process to know when, where, and how to improvise.

A bit like cooking - some recipes do turn out better when the recipe is fairly closely followed - others have a lot of leeway and still turn out to be edible.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:40 PM

There's a box? Where is it & how do I get one?

idk -- maybe it's because I started garment making because I wanted custom, but I almost never make something exactly like the pattern/picture. Yes, I have bought a couple kits for classes & for those I usually don't differentiate because I want to be sure I've mastered all the techniques, but otherwise I love the creative process. It's the whole reason I bother to pay attention in class -- so I can understand the techniques well enough to pick out my own colors, textures, designs & finishes to create something one-of-a-kind.