Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those of us who are not exactly perfect (1/4" seam) >

For those of us who are not exactly perfect (1/4" seam)

For those of us who are not exactly perfect (1/4" seam)

Old 07-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Ok ok ok. I've been working on my 1/4" seam and getting closer to an accurate and consistent seam. But....as it comes about, I continue to be a little off. :oops:

My question is, when you are trying to match seams and are a little off, what do you do? Do you take a pinch in near the end of the seam, do you stretch the fabric, do you close your eyes and pretend it's not there, do you let out the opposing seam?

Ladies and gents, if you are perfect and this never happens to you, please don't tell me so, because it will make me feel REALLY bad. :cry: ;)

I'm making my first bargello and, LO AND BEHOLD, some of my pieces are not matching up. Not sure how to proceed. Any hints?

THANK YOU QUILTING BOARD!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 PM

I'm not perfect that's for sure. I try and pin my seams to match and if there is a little extra fabric in between I work it in when sewing the seam, or I stretch just a teeny bit, then I hope for the best.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I'm not perfect that's for sure. I try and pin my seams to match and if there is a little extra fabric in between I work it in when sewing the seam, or I stretch just a teeny bit, then I hope for the best.
That's what I do! I also make sure I use the same machine with the same foot throughout the whole quilt.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:35 PM

It depends, some times it is to far off then I have to take the seam out. If it is really close I will work the extra fabric in if I can. Believe me I am a expert ripper.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Depends, if a piece has been pieced and it is too big, I will either re-stitch or trim it (depends on what makes the most sense. If it is too small, will either re-sew or place the block so I am taking a slightly smaller seam. My Janome has an accufeed, and I can adjust the bite it takes on the top and bottom and it will ease things a bit.

I measure after every time I piece a bunch of stuff since I have found that my mind sometimes wanders and when it does I can be way off, so I try to take care of it as soon as possible,.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

I try to figure out which piece is off by measuring them then I know which one to stretch or ease in. If I was in the situation where I'd need to take a pinch, I would redo one of the seams. A pinch will create a tuck. If you machine quilt or if you have it long armed, your foot will catch.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:46 PM

Agree with what everyone else said. Depends on what I am working on and how far off the seams are. And I try to sew patterns that allow me to measure and trim often.

Like you, I am getting better. But perfection takes too much time/energy, and reworking to attain perfection isn't any fun. So I just try to be as careful and accurate as I can without obsessing about it. After all I do this for enjoyment.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:48 PM

i take my ruler and a fabric pen and mark. then sew so many times. and depending on how far i'm off i rip it out and resew. alot of work indeed worth it though
Old 07-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I have made myself sew the same width seam for all piecing. I don' know if it is a true 1/4" but as long as all the seams are the same it works. I use a 1/4 foot with metal guide and the Angler is a great help.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

When sewing pieces together, I pin at the intersections and check if they match. If one side is a little longer than the other, I put the longer edge on the bottom by the feed dogs. I don't know why but the feed dogs tend to "eat" the extra fabric faster than the top fabric and the seams usually match.