Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those with Viking Dealerships in your JoAnnes... >

Those with Viking Dealerships in your JoAnnes...

Those with Viking Dealerships in your JoAnnes...

Old 02-19-2011, 06:19 AM

I was just there yesterday, and talked to owner for long time, I think it will be there for a while. May be just those locations that aren't doing the business.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:40 AM

In my area in Phoenix, AZ, it is based individually on the store. Some are gone & some stay. They say it is a business decision.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:52 AM

So if we can't buy Viking or Pfaff, all we'll have is Brother, Janmoe and Bernina. That's sad. I don't even have a place to get my Pfaff serviced in this area.
Originally Posted by toomanycats
Viking has been bought by a Chinese investment group. They have closed their factory in Sweden and moved it to China.
My local dealer said they would no longer carry the machines but would still be able to stock some things. Wonder how long before won't be able to get parts? I have an older Vinking. He also said Pfaft (not sure if that is spelled right) was another and they will not import to the US any longer. Was a third in the group but I cannot remember it I was so shocked at the time. I did not know Joann's was having a sale. I have put in numerous changes in the last four months and still have not received a flyer.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:17 AM

Guess China wants to take over ALL the sewing! That tics me off! Wonder when they will buy the rest of them?? All my JoAnns sells is Singer...wonder if THEY are made in China? Don't get me wrong, I'm not prejudiced against the Chinese, I just want some of the things we buy to be made here or in the countries that made it in the first place. Vikings and Pfaffs are great machines.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:21 AM

Singers have been made in China for many years. That is why so many of us are into the 'vintage machines'. The new ones are plastic with plastic gears. The old girls are all metal and made to last.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:35 AM

They had already sold the longarm, but they had demos of the other TOL embroidery/sewing machines for sale. Though, I don't know what you'd do for service or warranty work? I did see a sign pinned to one chair that said "Stockton" store. So, I'm guessing whatever is left goes to another store, in Stockton. I suppose you'd be able to get warranty work there but what if that closes eventually too? I would hate to spend 6 or 7 grand on a machine and be left dangling:
Old 02-19-2011, 01:50 PM

Well , I went this AM .... and mine ... the Viking dealer in the JoAnn's is gone! ... and nobody on the store staff was going to talk about it.
I do have a terrific dealer ( sew and vac) about the same distance from the house. I prefered to deal with them anyway.. much more knowledgeable. Sometime the JoAnn /Viking did know what foot was used for what.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:14 PM

Our JoAnn's only carriers Singer machines which I don't think are selling because there is no repair shop for Singer in our area.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:16 PM

Looked at the Walmart sewing machines today and the Brother machines they sell are made in China!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Well , I went this AM .... and mine ... the Viking dealer in the JoAnn's is gone! ... and nobody on the store staff was going to talk about it.
I do have a terrific dealer ( sew and vac) about the same distance from the house. I prefered to deal with them anyway.. much more knowledgeable. Sometime the JoAnn /Viking did know what foot was used for what.

Very interesting. It looks like Viking may be pulling out nationwide.