Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those who piece or add left over blocks to their backing >

For those who piece or add left over blocks to their backing

For those who piece or add left over blocks to their backing

Old 02-22-2015, 09:57 AM

Question For those who piece or add left over blocks to their backing

I need to widen my backing and would like to use a row of extra blocks. But would that cause problems for the Long Armer because of the extra seams and bulk? Would it be better to do the diagonal seam thing. This is a BIG quilt.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:00 AM

It's never presented a problem for me. Most of my backs are pieced.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Seams on backs are better horizontal instead of vertical. Vertical seams stack up on each other as the quilt is rolled causing a bump. Check with your long armer to see if she will quilt with a pieced back.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:09 AM

I piece almost all of my backs, some almost a whole new quilt on the backside. I use two different long arm ladies and neither has ever had a problem with my pieced backs at all. Perhaps you should ask your long arm professional if she has any concerns with piecing the back.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:18 AM

I tend to do horizontal piecing on backs because that is the width that I usually need to widen. I do agree horizontal is easier to work with when quilting. I would think most long-armers should be able to work with it. If you do vertical, depending on the size, they might need to turn the quilt 90 degrees to quilt it so the seam is horizontal though. Might depend on what quilting pattern you want also!
Old 02-22-2015, 11:21 AM

Thanks for your opinions. If I decide to add the blocks, I will make sure they are horizontal. Never even thought about which way the quilt would be loaded. Shall also call my LA'er as a precaution. Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Thanks for your opinions. If I decide to add the blocks, I will make sure they are horizontal. Never even thought about which way the quilt would be loaded. Shall also call my LA'er as a precaution. Thanks again.
Agree with what the others have said .... and as you have planned, it is best to check with your own LA'er to know her specs.

My LA'er does not get wound up about it and has a frame large enough she can load it in either direction. Your quilt is not unrealistic for it to be loaded either directions. However, another issue she has mentioned is that if she has the bulk of seams on the front, meeting up with another bulk of seams on the back, it can give her fits. She never complains ... but for some LA'ers it would be a no-go.

So just some more questions to ask her .... better to know in advance than to do all the work and be told no!

(and with you somewhat in the same area, you might even be using the same LA'er! .... I know she would do yours justice. When she did both my PC and FWS quilts, she did every block with a different FMQ design, which was amazing. While a lot of work for her, I know she enjoyed the change, as so many just go with a panto, thinking of cost, instead of improving the quilt.)
Old 02-22-2015, 02:40 PM

HaHa! (laughing at myself) Just finished ironing that humongous piece of fabric and took some measurements. It is just about perfect size!! I 'might' sew a 2 inch sacrificial strip along one side just to be absolutely sure, but I definitely do not have to piece it. Yippee!!
Old 02-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

I piece vertical too but didn't realize that it is easier for a LAQ. Most of the fabric I use is for charity quilts and it seems that with donation fabric, I am lucky to get at least the length so usually since they are lap quilts, just have to widen the backing.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:50 PM

I often piece the backing as needed. I've also made a couple of reversible quilts and LAQ'ers have never said they couldn't do it. Though one time, I was disappointed that the LAQ'er didn't center the backing so the borders came out uneven. That's something to consider if you get into making reversible quilts.