Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those of you that sell... >

For those of you that sell...

For those of you that sell...

Old 04-14-2010, 09:18 AM

Good post. I am interested in the responses. I have never sold one, I felt no one would pay what I thought it was worth. I may try one day and see what happens.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 AM

Interesting thread. I will be watching this one because I get asked to make quilts for people all the time. I recently told a friend I would be happy to make her one, but I wouldn't charge her. I'm making it out of misc. blocks, jar blocks & sq in a sq w/ butterflies that I already had made. I let her pick out the sashing and borders from my stash. It's a lapsize quilt. Guess I can't go back and ask for money now, but for the future I would like to know. Thanks!!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 AM

I made one for a co-worker (queen size)she bought all the materials and Paid me $130.00. I hand quilted it, It really was worth more but it was all she could afford. I made one for a friend who gladly paid me yea $20.00 Cause she could get one at Walmart for that (King size), That was hand quilted also. I just hand quilted a top for a lady for the cancer walk, (she supplied the batting backing and binding) She gave me $70.00 but it was for a good cause so I didn't mind that one, She also cried when I gave it to her! (full size)
Old 04-14-2010, 10:04 AM

The price not only is determined by the time involved, but you also have to consider the detailed work. A smaller quilt, faster to make, but one of a kind, can be much more expensive than a larger one than can be easily reproduced. Also your market will determine the price. I have sold several in NYC for a lot more money that I could have gotten in northern NY. In some markets people are willing to pay what your work is worth and in others they just don't value it as much.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:47 AM

Thank you for all your in put. I was also thinking about just making a list of prices for the sizes??? but then of course what if they want you to make one that is more complex? Then you are in a bind because it is worth a lot more. I like the idea of either 3x the cost of the material or just 10.00 an hour. Keep those suggestions coming. Thanks Beth
Old 04-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
The price not only is determined by the time involved, but you also have to consider the detailed work. A smaller quilt, faster to make, but one of a kind, can be much more expensive than a larger one than can be easily reproduced. Also your market will determine the price. I have sold several in NYC for a lot more money that I could have gotten in northern NY. In some markets people are willing to pay what your work is worth and in others they just don't value it as much.
so true...
Old 04-14-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
Thank you for all your in put. I was also thinking about just making a list of prices for the sizes??? but then of course what if they want you to make one that is more complex? Then you are in a bind because it is worth a lot more. I like the idea of either 3x the cost of the material or just 10.00 an hour. Keep those suggestions coming. Thanks Beth
Great thread, thanks for posting this, quiltingfriend!

Regarding complexity, I'm thinking you could always have a price guide with some photos of "simple" and "complex" quilts to give people an idea of base prices, and charge extra if you make a design specifically for someone.

I'd imagine that it will be good if you can end up offering each customer a fixed price for their quilt once you've agred the details of what you will make. After a bit of practice and timekeeping, you'll have a pretty good idea of how long your work will take (and get a feel for your customers and how much they are willing and able to pay...), so you'll be able to do fixed prices.

I've never sold quilts (yet... :) ), but have been self-employed for years. I've found that clients respond much more favorably to fixed prices than per-hour fees and estimates. So do I when I'm ordering something! I like it. I know beforehand how much I'll have to pay, it feels reliable and solid.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:22 PM

I have several (about 20) quilt tops. I never thought about selling them unquilted. I may give that a try because I love making the tops but have a hard time making myself quilt them. and It would just cost too much to have them quilted. Do you put a reserve price on the quilt tops or just see what people will pay?
Old 04-14-2010, 03:43 PM

I've been to three annual quilting retreats with a bunch of fine quilting ladies, many of whom belong to guilds. Their advice is to charge 3x material.

With that being said, however, I did sell a full size quilt for $500. Some ladies said I way undercharged. Others said that seemed fair because I had not hand-quilted it. Also, I sold a twin size for $150. But it all depends on your location and your customers.
If somebody says they can buy a quilt at Wal-Mart for $20, I say I realize that, but do you want something that will still be intact 10 or more years from now? Do you want something that no one else has? Or do you want something made of inferior materials from a factory?
Old 04-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
I've been to three annual quilting retreats with a bunch of fine quilting ladies, many of whom belong to guilds. Their advice is to charge 3x material.

With that being said, however, I did sell a full size quilt for $500. Some ladies said I way undercharged. Others said that seemed fair because I had not hand-quilted it. Also, I sold a twin size for $150. But it all depends on your location and your customers.
If somebody says they can buy a quilt at Wal-Mart for $20, I say I realize that, but do you want something that will still be intact 10 or more years from now? Do you want something that no one else has? Or do you want something made of inferior materials from a factory?
Plus if someone says that they can buy one from Wal-Mart for $20, they are not your target market. If they are already thinking that way, they will never pay what a quilt is truly worth and you should not lower your price just to get a sale. Make sure you target and market to people that have the money to spend and know what quality really is.

Rachel