Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thoughts on using poly/cotton or polyester for quilting projects. >

Thoughts on using poly/cotton or polyester for quilting projects.

Thoughts on using poly/cotton or polyester for quilting projects.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:41 PM

I have used polyester fabric when making quilts for wounded warriors, because it was donated. It just doesn't feel the same. It is very hot and not soft and cuddly as the quilts made with 100% cotton. If this is going to be a small wall hanging quilt, I don't think it would matter as much. Some poly will pill and some won't....hope this helps
Old 04-22-2015, 06:19 PM

My experience with poly/cotton was not great for a quilt. Fabric slips and slides. It is very hard to ease if you have one piece a little longer than the other. Is hot and holds the heat and doesn't breathe. Always has a smell. I use just 100% cotton for quilts and my husbands shirts. Prewashed of course.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
The cotton/poly blends are great for kids drag around quilts. They hold up to lots of ( abuse) forts, picnics, sleep overs, car trips. Take a beating, lots of laundering, don't fade, are terrific. If you want to make utility quilts that will be used, laundered, loved for a long time polyester and poly/cotton blends are the way to go. My kids, 39 & 36 yr.olds, still have the polyester quilts my grandmother made them in 1980, the colors are still vibrant, those quilts went camping, picnics, built hundreds of forts, spent lots of time on floors, ground. The blends will not make soft, wrinkle, fade with time, cotton quilts, but they will make good utility, use a lot quilts.
I so agree with you and am a bit disappointed at quilters attitude in general to poly/cottons, I am a coordinator for Project Linus and use poly/cotton bedding for the backings as often as I can get hold of them, as you say they are great for the "abuse" that kiddiewinks do enjoying their quilts, also I have been lucky getting from Charity shops bedding with lovely kiddiewink friendly designs, like Batman, Spiderman etc. I have never had any problems in quilting them and I know they will stand up to all the laundering they have to receive.