Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Advice >

Thread Advice

Thread Advice

Old 02-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
But I am still stuck in the 90s and mostly exclusively use Mettler silk wrapped thread for both of my piecing and quilting.
Just want to mention that Mettler cotton thread is not silk wrapped. It is silk "finish", which simply means that they polish the cotton.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Just want to mention that Mettler cotton thread is not silk wrapped. It is silk "finish", which simply means that they polish the cotton.
This is a common misconception. As you say, it's the finish - the thread is 100% cotton. Incredibly, I actually heard one of the assistants in my LQS say it was 'finished with silk'. I did (politely) correct her - she was astounded and had been telling this to customers for years..........
Old 02-04-2015, 11:43 AM

many people believe poly will cut the fabric well that is not true. I use poly thread for piecing and use cotton for longarm quilting I have used poly for quilting also use what you want and what works for you there are no quilting police
Old 02-04-2015, 02:26 PM

Thanks for all the input. Have been testing different needles, thread and tension combinations to see what my machine likes. I have a 20+ year-old Kenmore right now. So far it seems to like the polyester the best. Both top and bottom stitches seem more consistent. Who would have ever thought I'd be studying stitches under a magnifying glass! Thought I'd get a spool of a few different kinds, both poly and cotton and see what happens. The best thing I'm learning so far is that it doesn't seem to matter much. Just do what you like, which suits me just fine. I've always tended to be a rule breaker anyway! Thanks for all the brand suggestions.