Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thread Basting a Quilt/Schamber Style

Blog Entries
    I love the Shaumber method of basting, but , Jaquie, you just kicked it up a notch!! Thanks so much for that useful tip about saving the basting thread! I'm pretty frugal and I'm kicking myself thinking of all that thread I've tossed!!

Thanks to everyone who helped me with my question!

that is good dea to baste from the back

I use serger thread to baste my quilts. Cheap and holds well as it is polyester.

Blog Entries
    I use hand qulting thread. It has a thin coating on it.

I watched that video too, it was great, I am definately gonna give that method a try

I used water soluble thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    I will say though that sometimes the FMQ foot will catch a thread, which makes moving the quilt difficult. When I see/feel it - I snip the thread. I'm going to try to avoid most of this the next time by basting my quilt from the back. When basting, the herringbone stitches are long on the front, and short on the back. So if I baste it from the back they should be long on the back and short on the front. Since my feed dogs are down, I wont catch the long stitches on anything, and the few times I might catch the short stitches on the front will be a lot less than I was catching them before. I'll just have to be extra careful when basting to always make sure the front of my quilt (which will be on the bottom) is nicely centered.
    DHM, you can do the herringbone stitch without basting on the back. Just stitch so the short stitch is on top and the long stitch on the back. I've been doing this for the last two quilts I sandwiched and haven't had trouble with the stitches getting caught up on either the walking foot or the FMQ foot. It works for me!
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2