Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread brand >

Thread brand

Thread brand

Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 PM

Default Thread brand

I have never bought a brand name thread for sewing and piecing and some FMQ and SID. I am looking at sales online and don't know what weight. 50? all cotton or what and what brand? Help please
Old 12-01-2014, 08:27 PM

I use 50 wt for machine piecing and applique, 40 wt for hand piecing and machine quilting. I usually machine piece with Gutermann, but have tried Superior Threads Masterpiece, which I really liked. I tried Presencia 50 wt. for piecing, but it seemed unnecessarily thick to me (but very strong). I use Superior Threads King Tut for machine quilting. I've only used Aurifil so far for hand applique. All of the threads above are 100% cotton. It's a personal preference if you want to use cotton or poly. Lots of people rave about poly threads for machine quilting.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:59 PM

If you want your quilting to stand out, use a heavier weight thread. If you'd rather have your quilting fade into the background and have the piecing stand out, use a finer weight thread.

The smaller the number, the bigger the thread. So a 40 weight thread will be fairly thick, and a 60 wt thread will be fine.

I prefer to use Superior's Bottom Line thread for piecing, it's 60 wt, but I do a lot of miniature quilts and quilts with lots of tiny pieces, and I like the accuracy that the thin thread gives me. When you're sewing blocks with 1/4" pieces, a thinner thread does make a difference.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:20 AM

I have been using Aurifil 50 weight for piecing and really like how flat it makes my seams. Not all 50 weight is that fine. I also use it to quilt sometimes when i want the stitching to be fairly fine.
I also like superior threads for quilting and have tried both their cotton threads and polyester in different weights depending on the look that I want.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

I use Coats and Clark or Connecting Thread for piecing and quilting. I'm not picky and neither are my machines. That is a very good thing because I have lots of both. I don't plan on buying any more thread until I run out.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:19 PM

I've become a big fan of Superior So Fine! #50 thread, for piecing and quilting. I believe Coats & Clark is #40, which is slightly thicker 'normal' weight. If you want your quilting stitches to show, #40 is a good choice. If you want the stitches to sink into the fabric more, go with either #50 or even #60.

Superior Threads has 'try me' samples, if you want to try various types/weights, without spending a fortune. They send you a random color but all of the samples I've received, have been pretty colors and usable.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:32 PM

To me honestly I love superior both cotton and poly are high quality. It is my favorite brand but haven't tried presencia yet. King tut for FMQ they have different lines of poly. I know sew fine is used greatly for piecing, but I haven't tried that line just yet but it was recommended by some classes I am taking online. I still piece heavily with gutterman as well because superior is not easy to come by locally
Old 12-02-2014, 05:34 PM

I use Coats and Clark for everything. Could be I may be missing something, but so far it's been fine. froggyintexas
Old 12-02-2014, 06:40 PM

Thank to all for the help on thread. I learned a lot. I can always count on this board. So great to be a member with such nice people.