Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread breaking help >

thread breaking help

thread breaking help

Old 11-01-2011, 06:43 PM

Default thread breaking help

i am trying to quilt a queen size quilt on my phaff hobby quilter and was wondering if there was anyone who could give me some ideas as to why my thread is breaking? my son played with the tension on my machine and eversince it hasent worked properly.
my questions are
1-what do you have your tension set on for FMQ?
2-what size neddles do you use.
ive tryed retheading adjusting tension changed needle repeatedly cleaned it out nothing realy works. i just hope i whont have to take it in hope he hasent done any real damage to it. thanks for any sujestions.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:12 PM

Does the whole tension unit come out of your machine? Mine does on my long arm and I had a similar problem and the spring had shifted and was causing the thread to break? If you can take it apart check the discs themselves to see if maybe a knick or burr is now present and causing the thread to break.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

i have a juki and use a large needle, like a jeans needle. i don't have breakage problems
Old 11-02-2011, 12:12 PM

thanks ill check the tension diskes just remindes me my son my son might have put something in them he loves my sewing machine but hes not suposed to play with it.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:22 PM

The tension settings for FMQ are different for everyone and it depends on the machine & the type of thread. I would open the tension all the way up and blow out any lint of anything that may have gotten caught in the tension disks. My machine actually sucked up a lint ball one time that got stuck i the tension assembly and I couldn't reach it without fear of scratching something in my computerized, auto-tensioning machine. My machine will also act up if even the tiniest piece of thread or lint gets in the way of the hook assembly in the bobbin area so I would clean that area out, too and wind another bobbin. Rethread the top with different thread (thread could be dried out & brittle) and floss out the thread path with dental floss if I still have an issue. Put some silicone or Sewer's Aid on the top thread to help it flow. Turning the spool upside down sometimes helps me and having someone else sew while I watch the thread path helps find problem areas.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:33 AM

Use a Topstitch needle size 14. It has a larger eye. Practice on some smaller sandwiches, changing your tension until it's right.