Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread breaks on FMQ >

Thread breaks on FMQ

Thread breaks on FMQ

Old 01-30-2015, 05:51 PM

Default Thread breaks on FMQ

I'm having a problem with the FMQ I'm doing and if anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it. I'm doing a fairly large scale stipple and nearly every time I turn a curve and head away from me with the stitching the top thread breaks. Curves where I go to the right, left, or toward me are fine. Tension looks good. I'm using 100% cotton fabric top and backing, warm and natural batting, Sulky blendables 30 weight cotton thread - both top and bobbin, and a 90 Inspira topstitch needle. I'm doing it on my Pfaff Performance 5.0 and normally it does a great job when I FMQ. The only thing new from what I usually do is the batting, which I'm using from a roll from work we can use for donation quilts. I have to be doing something wrong and I have no idea. I've rethreaded both the top and bobbin multiple times and changed to a new needle. Trying to do some quick FMQ to finish up a Project Linus quilt and it has me totally frustrated. Any ideas?
Old 01-30-2015, 06:59 PM

It could be the batting. I have heard of longarmmers who have had thread breakage with certain battings. Not sure, but I think it was a polyester batt.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

If it stitches fine in every direction but away from yourself, it is probably the speed in which you are stitching when going backwards. I would work towards myself, left and right but not backwards.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

First of all, I don't really think it is the batting that is causing the problem.

When you are heading away from yourself with the stitching, you are creating something which is abnormal to the machine. This is with the assumption your thread goes thru the needle, front to back. So it does that, and then with the movement you are creating you now in effect have it "s'ing" back in the other direction, and that could easily cause the break.

You might solve the problem by slowing down your speed in moving the quilt, but I almost doubt it. While you said the tension looks good, you might want to adjust it. Sometimes you can adjust it, and it makes little difference to the visual, and yet just seems to make things work better.

Another possibility might be to try a different needle such as an embroidery. I'm not too familiar with your thread type, as to whether it might be one that breaks easier? So you could always try a different thread.

Good Luck!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:29 PM

You might try a larger needle. Topstitch is good, since it has a larger eye and longer scarf, which helps protect the thread from friction as the needle moves in and out of the fabric.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:58 AM

I have the Performance 5 and have used 30wt thread. As others have said, I think it's a speed/tension issue.

Although your needle size is good for the thread weight, it's still quite a thick thread. I may be mad, but I find Sulky 30wt quite a 'soft' thread and it may worth slackening your tension in 0.5 increments to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, then it's probably speed. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:23 AM

30 wt thread...fairly thick...put in a size 16 needle...and loosen tension a bit...don't think it's the batt ...
Old 01-31-2015, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

I have used Sulky thread on my Bernina before but I would certainly try all the suggestions listed above. Maybe try to avoid going backwards. The next time you take your baby in for maintenance, you might asked the technician if he had any suggestions regarding this problem.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:21 PM

Thank you all!!! I lowered the tension by .4 and it worked like a dream! I just did a quick test and was able to finish the FMQ on the block I was working on with no more thread breaks. Previously it would end up breaking every 5" to 8", depending on when I changed direction. The "S" in the thread when sewing away from me makes a lot of sense and does seem like it would add to the tension on the thread and could result in a break. Just for good measure I'm trying to be conscious of slowing down on the stitching that is away from me. I also agree with Knitette's comment that Sulky seems to be a bit softer than other thread and more prone to breakage, but I really liked this blendable with the fabric I'm using.

This is one of the many reasons I love this board; everyone is always so willing to help out with ideas! Now I can look forward to sitting down later and working on this project.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:15 PM

Bigger needle, maybe. I wish I could be more positive, as I've had some problems with thread breaking as well, lately. I don't have that problem with poly thread, but I'm using thread with unknown fiber content as it was donated and doesn' say.