Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread and Cats >

Thread and Cats

Thread and Cats

Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 PM

Default Thread and Cats

I had a veerrrry costly vet bill last week. Emergency visit to Animal Hospital. My 9 yearold cat got ahold of some of my black bottom line thread . Got it caught under her tongue and down her throat. After 4 days of throwing up and not able to eat food or drink. Complete dehydration.They did surgery and took out a wad of it out.. $4500. yes Forty five hundred dollars....She is home recuperating with a long scar..Lucky didn't have to remove any of her intestine as it had not cut into it.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 PM

I am glad that you have taken the time to post this sad story. I have been sewing/quilting for years around many generations of dogs & cats (and some parrots). She is very, very lucky to have you. As for thread, if you have small animals or children underfoot (or simply around your sewing/quilting area) please be very careful about not only storing the thread & other supplies, but also counting the pins & needles after use. Prevention is the best way of saving money-and a life.

Please let me know of your kitty's full recovery when that happens.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:13 AM

Wow!!! This makes me think i need to close the door on my room that my quilt frame is in when i'm not up here.....Or at least make sure everything is put away really good.....
Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

This is one of the reasons my sewing room and longarm room are forbidden territory to my feline crew. I have read way too manys stories like yours and many more where the final outcome was not as good
Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 AM

My friend had a cat who loved those black elastics you use for pony tails. Same story.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

OUCH! Poor kitty. I'm glad she is recovering well. Keep yarn & tinsel away from them too.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 AM

I hope kitty makes a full recovery. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 PM

I keep a close eye on my kitty when I am sewing and try to keep all threads out of reach. He usually stays right at my elbow while I am at the sewing machine and inspects every seam!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:04 PM

Only one of my cats likes to come into my sewing room. She is only allowed in there when I am there. I have my serger stored under my sewing table. I was distracted on the computer and I heard her cough several times. She had started swallowing the thread from my serger! I was able to pull it gently out of her throat and she had a big wad in there. I watch her really close now!

One of our shepherds that we lost last year to cancer, Zeuss, would come in and lie on the floor when I was sewing. Never thought anything of it until he was outside having trouble doing his business. He had swallowed fabric scraps and was having trouble eliminating them. It was a stressful incident for both of us as I had to "assist" him. I made sure that I kept my scraps up off the floor after that.

My MIL cross stitches. She dropped her needle one day and her Cavalier King Charles swallowed it up quicker than she could get to it. That surgery cost her $2500!

So glad to know that your kitty is okay and yes, it does hurt the pocket book when something like this happens to our furry loved ones.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your kitty, I hope she has a speedy recovery. My Tiger is going to be locked out of my sewing room from now on. Thanks for posting this so we can all be aware of the dangers for our pets.