Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: thread color choice- for piecing

I am about to work on a piece of fabric that is multi colored with vary strong colors. I know when quilting and binding the threads will show so you should choose thread color carefully. With piecing could you just go with a neutral since the thread shouldn't show?

Thanks for your imput.
    Happy quilting!

G

I always just use grey for piecing. It seems to work well for me, I just stock up when thread is on sale.

I use a very light gray or light tan thread for piecing. You may also want to consider using serger thread for piecing. This will press much flatter when pressing seams and your work will come out much smoother.

Serger thread is a very thin thread but it is very strong. I've used it on several quilts that get used and washed frequently. None of the seams have split. I also use serger thread for quilting whenever I want more of a shadow of quilting.

The owner of the quilt shop that I frequent mentioned that she used grey thread and I have since then. Works great. :D

I use grey or taupe

Blog Entries
    I bought a set of Essentials thread from Connecting Threads in neutral colors and it has been perfect for all my piecing. The thread is inexpensive compared to other brands and can be bought on a big cone.

I buy gray. If the majority is light, then I use light gray. If the quilt is dark, then I use dark gray. I hate having to try to blend in when I'm using several different colors.

I use either grey or lt tan/taupe I also use the essential threads from connecting threads.

Blog Entries
    I agree - light or medium gray work with just about everything.

Blog Entries
    I use either taupe of light grey...and they are the Essentials from Connecting Threads. However...I have done some quilting with the same threads and they shed TONS of lint into my machine. I think I'm going to have to start trying another type of thread. :cry:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast