Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread -- Cotton or Poly? >

Thread -- Cotton or Poly?

Thread -- Cotton or Poly?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Do you use cotton or poly thread for quilting?

There is a new post about some 70/3 poly thread for longarm quilting. I've always heard to use cotton since we're using cotton fabrics.

I'm intrested in what others have found. Does one work better than the other?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Power Poster

It has been a long held belief that cotton quilts should have cotton thread. Some of the discussions have become quite heated at times as there are still many that hold this belief. I think our fabrics have changed over time and it really isn't that big of a deal anymore, but we all have our own preferences.

Longarm machines really do have their own personalities. I know this sounds strange, but there are machines that run much more easily on cotton thread. My machine really likes polyester thread and I do not have to fiddle with the tension nearly as much. Cotton thread requires a lot more tension changes for me. Another person's machine may be totally opposite.

I use what people who want a quilt quilted prefer. I have several quilts that my mom had long arm quilted many years ago, that show no sign of stress from the polyester. I also have a quilt that she SID with a regular sewing thread from town that also has no problems. The fabric is going to wear out before the thread ever does. I also have a Dresden that was quilted with monofilament thread. I hate that quilting thread and will probably end up taking it out and redoing it sometime.

So what it really amounts to for me is, use what you feel comfortable with.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
It has been a long held belief that cotton quilts should have cotton thread. Some of the discussions have become quite heated at times as there are still many that hold this belief. I think our fabrics have changed over time and it really isn't that big of a deal anymore, but we all have our own preferences.

Longarm machines really do have their own personalities. I know this sounds strange, but there are machines that run much more easily on cotton thread. My machine really likes polyester thread and I do not have to fiddle with the tension nearly as much. Cotton thread requires a lot more tension changes for me. Another person's machine may be totally opposite.

I use what people who want a quilt quilted prefer. I have several quilts that my mom had long arm quilted many years ago, that show no sign of stress from the polyester. I also have a quilt that she SID with a regular sewing thread from town that also has no problems. The fabric is going to wear out before the thread ever does. I also have a Dresden that was quilted with monofilament thread. I hate that quilting thread and will probably end up taking it out and redoing it sometime.

So what it really amounts to for me is, use what you feel comfortable with.
I agree. What I was wondering was can it be used in a regular sewing machine?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Power Poster

Bernie,

You can use Bottom line in domestic machines and there is only a little wt difference between it and the Essential Pro, so I don't see why you couldn't use it. You would definitely want to set your tension on a practice piece before beginning on your quilt.

I would love to be able to buy lots of thread and play with it, but it isn't in the budget.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

There are three different types of poly thread.

Spun, Filament, and Trilobal. This site explains the difference: http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...zing-substance
Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

That is the site I was on that said you could use Bottom line in the domestic machine.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:26 AM

Our quilt guild just had the thread expert educator from Superior Threads as our guild guest speaker. The bottom line is that threads of today are good (exception is the 3 for $1 stuff or too old thread still on wooden spools and reels). Use the thread that your machine and you like. There is no problem using polyester thread on cottons and all cotton or poly/cottons are fine too. Make sure your needle is compatible for your thread and change it often (every project or 10 hours of sewing time). The new titanium needles while more expensive, do last longer. She brought lots of thread and needles for us to play with and it was a great evening.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
That is the site I was on that said you could use Bottom line in the domestic machine.
I use both Bottom Line & So Fine in my home machine and on my Long Arm in the bobbins. They seem to work great with any type or weight of thread I use on the top. Including glitter, trilobal polyester & cotton. I just make sure I use the correct needle for each type of thread & weight.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:39 AM

I use So Fine in both the bobbin and top when piecing and Bottom Line in the bobbin and Mettlers Silk Finish on top when quilting. Both work very well on my Juki domestic machine.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:45 AM
Banned

I use Bottom Line top and bobbin on my Bernina
My Jems will only take it in the bobbins, so use Masterpiece or Aurifil on top (both are cotton)
http://www.superiorthreads.com is a source for Bottom Line and Masterpiece
Aurifil, my preferred cotton thread, is usually available at LQSs