Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Thread?! First timer needs help. >

Which Thread?! First timer needs help.

Which Thread?! First timer needs help.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 PM

Default Which Thread?! First timer needs help.

What kind of thread should I use for piecing my quilt together? This is the first time I've made a bed sized quilt and I have always used regular sewing thread for my baby blankets I've made in the past. I would like this quilt to become an heirloom and as such I want to make sure I do a good job. Any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 PM

Masterpiece by Superior is one I like for piecing. I also use Aurafil for both piecing and quilting.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by rosalynd View Post
What kind of thread should I use for piecing my quilt together? This is the first time I've made a bed sized quilt and I have always used regular sewing thread for my baby blankets I've made in the past. I would like this quilt to become an heirloom and as such I want to make sure I do a good job. Any suggestions?
Are you hand piecing or machine piecing? For hand piecing I like YLI Select, but any 50 wt. cotton thread would work. For machine piecing, I like Precensia 60 wt or 50 wt. It's thinner and helps tremendously with getting an accurate seam allowance. Precensia, Aurifil, Superior, to name a few, are excellent threads. However, there are many on the market. You will just have to try them out to determine what you like. Bottom line -- if you are using cotton fabric, use cotton thread no larger than 50 wt. for piecing.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

When I first started out quilting I just used Coats & Clark's regular sewing thread. I still use it sometimes if the colour is what I want. I've use Gutermans, Sulky, Superior and my current favourite is Aurifil.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

So far my favorite thread for piecing is Aurifil 50wt 2-ply cotton. It is finer than regular sewing thread, very smooth and lint-free. I get more accurate scant quarter-inch seams using this thread, as the seams press flatter.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:16 AM
Power Poster

you will get as many answers as there are people- use what thread you like. some (purists) will only use cotton thread, some like blends, some use polyester all the time, some prefer silk...some machines prefer one thread over another...use what you use, as long as it's good, strong thread (does not break when you take a piece between your 2 hands & give it a tug)
for piecing people use anything from 40wt to 60wt...silks may be 100 wt (its very fine & strong-but expensive)
the higher the wt number the thinner/finer the thread
some people love Aurafil thread, some like threads from Superior Threads (if you visit their website they have free charts you can print off telling you about all the different threads, what they are good for and what needle to use with each- a good resource site) i use alot of aurafil but also use alot of threads from Connecting Threads- you do not have to 'limit' yourself because that's what (jane doe down the street does) there are tons to choose from all are ok- use what you like....there are prize winning fabulous quilts made with all kinds of different threads- the piecing choice is not going to diminish the value/quality of your quilt unless its cheap, poor quality thread that breaks, falls apart.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy1 View Post
Masterpiece by Superior is one I like for piecing. I also use Aurafil for both piecing and quilting.
Masterpiece (3 ply not the 2 ply) would work. Personally I prefer their Sew Fine. Now that they have the new 3 ply I may try that too,
Old 04-07-2013, 03:32 AM

I use whatever I have on hand. Neither me nor my machine are picky about thread. As ckcowl said, as long as it doesn't break when you give it a good tug, you should be fine.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:00 AM

i use the masterpiece 3 ply from superior. i really like it.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 PM

Thank you so much for your help! I'm looking forward to getting started next week.
I'm nannying two little girls along with my baby girl this week so I guess it'll just have to wait. :P