Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread for Hand Applique? >

Thread for Hand Applique?

Thread for Hand Applique?

Old 07-23-2013, 10:13 PM

I have been doing hand applique for over 10 years and have found that silk thread sinks down into the fibers and practically disappears. I choose the color of thread based on the color of the appliqued piece.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 PM

I also use YLI silk thread and can confidently recommend it.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

I also use silk thread for applique- I also use it for hand piecing- it is so smooth, fine, strong and blends in/disappears. when I do not have the silk in a color I need- neutral is not the best choice I turn to Aurafil; also a nice, fine thread.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
my favorite for hand applique is silk thread in a beige color. it disappears no matter what color the patches are.
Ditto!! Love the silk thread!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by MsPatty View Post
I"ve just discovered back-basting needle turn applique and it is perfect for me! My C&C dual-duty thread seems heavy. Is it really that much heavier than other threads? Which of the threads available is really best. It is too expensive to buy many to experiment with. What about the Masterpiece threads from Superior Threads in the frosted bobbins?
I have been on this board for several years but never heard of back basting. What is it? Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 07:31 AM

I love Aurifil especially for applique, with only 2 ply and lots of colors its so easy to have it blend in. Since its a good quality I also know that it'll hold up. I will only use it to applique and also to piece.

I use the heavier thread for the back basting but for the actual appliquing part. The heavier thread for the basting really helps define the lines. I also use glue sticks, tooth picks to aid in making the whole process alot easier. It's my favorite way besides machine applique.

Last edited by romanojg; 07-24-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 AM

I got started using silk thread but didn't want to buy all the big spools to get the colors I needed. Started using Bottom Line from Superior - now I have all the colors I want and like the way the thread disappears when it is sewn.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:23 PM

I've been hearing a lot about what thread works best since I started a Baltimore Album class. Silk, silk-finish cotton, 100% cotton machine-embroidery thread, you name it. The latest recommendation is Invisi-Fill, which is supposed to be available at the Quilt Festival.

For every thread somebody loves there's somebody who can't stand it.

The fact is, I've used garden-variety Coats & Clark almost exclusively since the day I learned to sew. I mean, I'm used to it. I can put it into the eye of a size 11 straw needle with bare hands and naked eyeballs. I still feel more comfortable with it than anything else.

One of the most experienced applique-ers at my bee says that the best thread is the one that you can find when you need it as long as it kinda matches. Sounds good to me.

Last edited by FieldGuidetoQuilts.com; 10-12-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:29 PM

Back basting is when you trace the block pattern on the back of your background fabric (using a pencil or erasable pen or whatever) and then attach the front fabric to the back fabric with a basting stitch done from the back along the exact line that you traced. After that you applique via needleturn from the front, cutting the fabric and thread just an inch or two ahead of your needle. It's more straightforward than it sounds. It's also pretty accurate. Very accurate, if you're good at it.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 PM

I think the frosted donut with Masterpiece thread is the best ideal for hand applique! You get lots of colors without spending a fortune on all those spools. Its easy to travel with, and Masterpiece is wonderful thin thread that disappears into the fabric.