Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread for HQ Sweet 16 >

Thread for HQ Sweet 16

Thread for HQ Sweet 16

Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 PM

Default Thread for HQ Sweet 16

I just purchased a HQ 16 today and am wondering if any of you have a "favorite" brand thread. Also, since I don't know how much to purchase, any ideas how much thread it takes to quilt a queen size quilt (all over meander with some custom). I know this is hard to determine but any ideas are appreciated.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:48 PM

I like Superior Thread So Fine 50wt thread. There website has a lot of information including the answer to your second question. Congrats on your purchase!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 PM

Ssshhhh don't tell but I use maxi lock serger variegated thread all the time it works great
Old 03-11-2014, 07:03 PM

I use Superior threads, with sew fine as a bobbin rarely, as I like more color. I've also used King Tut.

I asked about serger thread for LA's years ago and was told it might not hold up as well over time???
Old 03-11-2014, 07:13 PM

oh Glide thread all the way. you can go to bobbincentral.com and order there. it is an average if 7.20 a 5000meter spool and you only need $35 to place the order, $75 for free shipping. i have tried alot of different threads, and Glide hands down is the only one i will ever use again. it is silky, no fraying, i can't tell where i stop and start, and i have ZERO little issues with it while i have always had with a different kind. it lives up to its name. and i don't even have the ease of a mid arm yet! im still using my small sewing machine! but im sold on it!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 PM

and congratulations on your purchase! hurray!! im looking into maybe an Avante in a year or so
Old 03-11-2014, 08:00 PM

You bought a high end machine. It should be able to use any reasonable thread you give it. If you experience thread breakage or fraying, the first thing to address is whether you have the proper needle matched with the thread. I would start out with a reasonably large-eyed needle. You'll get better initial results. The needle I use is size MR4.0. If you have problems, the second thing to consider is the top tension. And on from there. Thread takes too big a rap for problems that are really due to other issues.

I bought several cones of Signature 100% cotton thread at Wawak's. It's awesome. I'm sitting under a 20 year old quilt I quilted with Coat's 100% cotton and that I machine wash and tumble dry. It's still holding up strong.

And I just tried the Glide thread. It is beautiful. Trilobal polyester is awesome to quilt with, especially if you want the thread to stand out. And I think people are realizing that the synthetic threads are just fine to quilt with.

And I've used the Maxilock variegated thread too for quilting. It works fine! It's beautiful. And it's cheap! $3.00 for 3000 yards on a sale at Hancocks! so it would be great practice thread, if nothing else. And you might find it's good to use on "real" quilts.

Get some inexpensive fabric, batting and thread and practice. Decide from that what you like and want. There are really no wrong answers.

Last edited by TeresaA; 03-11-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 AM

The only one I have had problems with is Sulky. Kept breaking and was told by a SS16 vender that it is a common complaint. Other than that enjoy! I need to use mine more often but have been doing a lot of charity quilts and usually just stitch in the ditch or serpentine down the borders. Much faster on my DSM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:11 AM

My HQ S16 (known as Sweet Florence) and I LOVE Isacord! That tension balance is easy with Isacord.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:51 AM

When I want cotton thread I either use omni by Superior , or Signature which is recommended by Babylock for their Tiara which is like the Sweet 16. I also use King Tut and Lava by Superior and Isacord. I almost never have thread breaks with any of these.