Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread keeps breaking in fmq >

Thread keeps breaking in fmq

Thread keeps breaking in fmq

Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 PM

I have a Brother SQ9000. My tension is set on 4, new needle, machine has been cleaned. I am using essential thread from Connecting Threads. My thread keeps breaking and is driving me crazy. Two questions: Should I lower the tension to maybe 3 and has anyone ever used an embroidery needle for fmq....suggestions?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM

Connecting Threads thread broke nonstop on my Bernina 820. Once I changed to Aurafill thread, my problems went away!
Old 07-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Power Poster

It sure can't hurt to try a larger size needle or one with a larger eye :D:D:D
Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 PM

I would also change thread. My Bailey did not like connecting threads, my singer loves it but I don't FMQ with my singer. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:10 AM

There you go :-) I also FMQ with my Old Pfaff 230 and Essential thread from Connecting thread and it was breaking all the time also here. I think a bigger eyed needle would do the trick I found out there are lunps in the thread.
Next quilt I will be trying bigger needle and if still having problem than it's me or changing thread
Old 07-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

i will start with saying i love thread from connecting threads and use alot of it...but every now and then i start using one that will not be used...breaking- tension problems- all kinds of issues= i try everything else first---then i switch to a different cone (or spool) and the problems go away...
no idea why but our machines do seem to have (minds of their own) and sometimes they just will not use a certain thread.
i have found it more of a problem with different colors- (is that weird or what?)
as in a bought a whole collection of essential threads - use one it's wonderful...switch to a different color- breaking every 2"...frustraition- aggrivation---finally switch thread again- no more problems---
when i find the thread is a problem while quilting i can still use it without problem for piecing---
thread is as (personable) as our machines maybe...
anyhow= switch thread i bet your troubles go away...but don't give up on that thread- it may work just fine on the next project.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:49 AM

I have found that the thread breaks when I am moving the quilt faster than the speed I'm sewing. I either need to slow down on the movement of put the pedal to the metal more. Another synptom of this is that you get eyelashes on the back, especially around curves. I use Connecting Threads Essentials & KIng Tut by Superior Threads. No difference in my results if I'm sewing at the correct speed for the movment.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:49 AM

Double post!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:50 AM

Ooops, triple post
Old 07-07-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
I have found that the thread breaks when I am moving the quilt faster than the speed I'm sewing. I either need to slow down on the movement of put the pedal to the metal more. Another synptom of this is that you get eyelashes on the back, especially around curves. I use Connecting Threads Essentials & KIng Tut by Superior Threads. No difference in my results if I'm sewing at the correct speed for the movment.
absolutely beautiful avatar! would love to see whole quilt :roll:

dar