Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thread with the least amount of fuzz in the bobbin area for LA quilting?

Thread with the least amount of fuzz in the bobbin area for LA quilting?

I haven't been too disappointed in using all cotton (3 ply, 40 wt.) thread on my HQ 16 LA quilting machine, but I have a friend who has the same machine and is wanting to figure out if there is a thread with less fuzz. We've been using Signature solid colors and King Tut variegated threads. Anyone have an opinion?

well..if you want no fuzz, you will have to go with non-cotton. If you have cotton fibers, you WILL get fuzz. its just the nature of the beast. I just get out an big ole' paintbrush and clean it out every bobbin change. Takes me 10 seconds...
    I even have non-cotton threads that fuzz up on me.
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    I am using Glide 60wt (polyester) and it produces substantially less lint than Signature or King Tut. Many longarmers use Bottom Line in the bobbin. Polyester in the bobbin with cotton on top seems to work really well, as the poly lets the cotton "slide" a little for a perfect stitch.

yep, this is what I do too. I can put up with the fuzz considering that the dust bunnies in the rest of my house are a lot more scarier than this ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    yep, this is what I do too. I can put up with the fuzz considering that the dust bunnies in the rest of my house are a lot more scarier than this ;-)
    Really good point Debra!

I often use poly thread because I want more sheen to it than cotton gives. When I go back to cotton, the dust bunnies in hordes!
    Wendy

plus the fact you don't have to change the bobbin as often ;-) i enjoy that aspect!
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

the thread is not the only cause of lint build up when quilting- the fabrics and batting all cause it too...polyester creates less lint than cotton...i've found the batts from the dream company seem to not add lint at all- i don't know how/why that is but their batts are magical-and wonderful to work with.
    some fabrics are much more (linty) than other fabrics- flannel will really cause alot of fluff. you will find though that it does not matter what you use- you still need to clean the (fluff) in the bobbin area with EVERY bobbin change. it is a combination of all materials being used.
    personally- i pretty much never quilt with cotton thread (on top anyway) sometimes i use it in the bobbin- i am much happier with Aurafil or the pro-quilter poly threads. and love using silk- it's expensive though so reserved for very special projects
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy
    Colleen's custom quilting; longarm services and custom quilt commissions.

I've only used KingTut for my long arm, but I love Aurafil for my regular sewing machine bobbin. Maybe I'll try it for my long arm. I used canned air to blow out the bobbin area when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
    I've only used KingTut for my long arm, but I love Aurafil for my regular sewing machine bobbin. Maybe I'll try it for my long arm. I used canned air to blow out the bobbin area when needed.
    Nilla, please be careful with the canned air. After what my DH read about it he bought me an air compressor with a trigger attachment. He read with the canned air it could start a fire, or get moisture in yoir machine.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
    Nilla, please be careful with the canned air. After what my DH read about it he bought me an air compressor with a trigger attachment. He read with the canned air it could start a fire, or get moisture in yoir machine.
    Oh dear, I never even would have considered these possibilities! I'll have to talk with my dealer (who provided the canned air as part of my package) about this. Sometimes I feel like I walk around with a black cloud over my head already so if something can go wrong, it will go wrong with me! Thank you for telling me this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast