Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread/Machine Problem - help me! >

Thread/Machine Problem - help me!

Thread/Machine Problem - help me!

Old 02-25-2016, 04:09 AM

Default Thread/Machine Problem - help me!

I was sewing just fine the whole past week. Yesterday I sat down all ready to continue and haven't gotten anything done yet.

My problem is that I get LOTS of thread on the underside of my fabric. I know they say that is a sign of the upper tension. When I was sewing last week I was FMQ'ing with no problems - finished with that and reset the settings. Yesterday I had all my settings back to normal. I have changed the thread, put in a new needle, taken out the bobbin case three times looking for thread in there. Put in a new bobbin twice. Of course I have rethreaded it many times. Checked my tension and pressure.

When I am sewing/testing to see if it is right yet (MANY times) I see a very small loop of thread at the front of my needle with each stitch I take. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking maybe there is a piece of thread in the take-up (if thats the right word) but have no way of seeing in there.

Thanks for any suggestions. Pat
Old 02-25-2016, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

Did you clean out the bottom portion of your machine?? Dust bunnies love to accumulate under the thread plate. I need to take my Bernina in for servicing every 12 to 18 months.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:29 AM

It sounds like you could have a piece of thread stuck somewhere in the upper threading path. Since it's not visible I would guess the tension discs. You can try using a piece of dental floss to clean out the path on both/all sides of the discs and see if that helps.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:38 AM

Silly question. Are your feed dogs still down?
Old 02-25-2016, 05:00 AM

Having cleaned the bobbin and top path etc did you switch the machine off count 20 and switch back on. One of mine always works after being cleaned and switched off no idea why.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:11 AM

Have you rethread the machine? I always find that when I get the blob of thread on the underside, the machine is not threaded properly.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:25 AM

If your machine has a thread cutter the thread may be getting caught up on it
Old 02-25-2016, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

When threading the machine, make sure that the foot is up. This takes all the pressure off the tension discs and allows the thread to seat correctly. When you get to the needle, then put the foot down. Another thing you can try is 'flossing' between the tension discs. With the foot up, use a sturdy piece of thread, like top stitch or button hole and put it between the tension discs and floss.
When you were FMQing, did you break a needle? You might have a burr on your bobbin case. Run your finger around the case and see if there are any rough areas.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:46 AM

I ran into the same problem just the other day. Did all the things you stated and was still having tension problems. I just cut my machine off and let it sit over night. Worked fine after that. Crazy, I know.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
It sounds like you could have a piece of thread stuck somewhere in the upper threading path. Since it's not visible I would guess the tension discs. You can try using a piece of dental floss to clean out the path on both/all sides of the discs and see if that helps.
I have had this situation happen on both a top and bottom bobbin machine. It can be a nightmare because sometimes it is not visible. I have even had to use a pin to get a teeny piece of thread out of the tension springs in the bobbin.

Good luck. One time I never did find the piece and had to take it in for service. I'm sure they just took the bobbin case apart and removed the offending thread. But I was getting nowhere except more frustrated.