Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread pulls right out >

thread pulls right out

thread pulls right out

Old 10-17-2016, 04:32 AM

Your top thread and bobbin thread are not locking.....try a 90/14 topstitch needle. You didn't mention your needle size...that could be the issue. The thickness of your sandwich, the stitch length (try lengthening it ) and your needles ability to get to the locking point with your bobbin thread is the issue, not your tension.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:11 AM

I don't believe you said whether or not the bobbin thread is coming to the top. If it is, I'd go with the suggestions for readjusting the tensions (either loosening the top or tightening the bottom.) Try changing just one at a time and use 2 contrasting threads that are a different color from your test fabric. It's way easier to see it that way. And definitely a) draw a picture of the bobbin with the starting position of the screw on it and b) record the starting tension of the upper thread. That way, you can return to your starting position. This will make you braver in doing it, too.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 10-17-2016, 07:01 AM

Before adjusting your tension try checking your bobbin carrier or case.
The little slit where the thread fits may be full of lint. With a pin you can remove the lint and it will work fine. Try this before adjusting the tension.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
I had that once or twice. I ended up re-threading and that took care of the problem. At least it worked for me. Every thread issue is a particular one.
Deb, You are so right. This is the FIRST thing to check before turning knobs and screws. This unfailingly has fixed my tension issues on all 11 of my machines.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:40 AM

I had that happen when my machine wasn't happy with the thread I was using. I never could get the tension adjusted ok, so I just changed threads.