Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread question serger/quilting >

Thread question serger/quilting

Thread question serger/quilting

Old 06-05-2014, 05:27 PM

Thanks everyone for the information! I was wondering what the difference was! This board is very helpful and friendly!
Old 06-06-2014, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
I don't use serger thread for quilting...and yet, I know a long armer that is very busy and uses it exclusively! Try it out and see if you like it.

Well, I'm sorry but I would not have that L/Aer doing my quilts if she uses serger thread.........as states in another post. Meant for multi needle serging
Old 06-08-2014, 04:51 AM

I would not use it to quilt or piece my quilt, not because its two ply but because its not as strong. Aurifil is 2 ply and I love it to quilt and piece with. You can make quilts on sergers and the great thing is there is no running out of bobbin thread but you don't have to use serger thread then either. I like cotton thread with my cotton fabric, it has been proven to last the longest and not cut thru the fabric over time like other threads do. I use serger thread on my serger for other things and on my emb machine for FSL. Not all threads on cones are for sergers and not all threads for sergers are weak and will break easily. I agree, I would not like a LA that used it since they charge so much for the service and should be done with top quality thread. You can try it but it could take yrs to feel the full effects of the quality of thread it is.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:11 AM

Many types of thread are sold on cones--not all cones are serger threads. Look at the content and weight of the thread and buy those suitable for quilting. I like Gutermann all cotton which comes on 3,000 meter cones. The cones are great for volume and price!