Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread question serger/quilting >

Thread question serger/quilting

Thread question serger/quilting

Old 06-04-2014, 06:56 PM

Default Thread question serger/quilting

Is there a difference between the cone thread and the basic thread for quilting? In other words, can the cone thread be used for quilting?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:08 PM

I've used the varigated cone thread for quilting without much difficulty. Others may tell you not to. It is a thinner thread than quilting thread, and if you want your quilting stitches to stand out, the cone serger thread may not be the best choice. My advice is - if you like it, use it. There are no absolute rules in quliting.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:20 PM

Not all thread that comes on a cone is serger thread. I personally wouldn't use serger thread to piece or quilt with since it's a very thin thread and meant to be used with more than one thread at the same time.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:21 PM

I've found the serger cone threads are not nearly as strong as regular thread - which made sense as you use multiple threads while serging so they combine to make a stronger seam. On its own, the serging thread in your quilt seams won't be as strong. Most serging thread is 2-ply, regular is 3-ply.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:35 PM

Serger thread is generally a thin polyester. When you iron it, with your iron on the cotton setting, it melts. I've had several ladies tell me they've pieced with serger thread, ironed it, and the thread melted right away.

I generally use Guterman 100% cotton, on the big cone, for piecing and quilting.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:47 PM

If you are talking about serger thread, then no I wouldn't use it for quilting or piecing. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to take shortcuts.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:38 AM
Power Poster

Many different threads are available on cones. Long arm quilters use cones-if they didn't they would spend more time rethreading than quilting. Any thread that is strong enough, the right color, the right weight, the right fiber for your project can be used-people quilt with all kinds of different threads including invisible and metallic, cotton,polyester, wool... Cones are good choices because they hold enough to do a whole quilt
Old 06-05-2014, 04:55 AM

If you want to find all you ever wanted to know about threads, needles and tension look up on YouTube a video called TNT by HandiQuilter. It is The best info out there. I have dozens of serger cones but I would not use them in my long arm for the same reason many people already mentioned - it breaks too easily. I use 50 or 60 wt thread for most of my quilting. It is polyester, but much, much stronger than serger thread. Yes, you can use whatever you want, but you have to ask yourself if you are willing to put all that effort into something that will not last. The only time I can see using serger thread in quilting is if you are going to quilt really densely, on a wall hanging, or something that will not be handled on a daily basis. Unfortunately, really good quilting thread tends to be expensive, but it is totally worth it. When I am in the zone, and quilting, I do not want thread breaking all the time. It is distracting, and bad for my mojo. I hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
If you are talking about serger thread, then no I wouldn't use it for quilting or piecing. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to take shortcuts.
I agree. The quality just doesn't stand up. With all the money and time invested into making a quilt, it is not worth trying to save on something that could make a difference with what may then be problems down the road.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:54 AM

I don't use serger thread for quilting...and yet, I know a long armer that is very busy and uses it exclusively! Try it out and see if you like it.