Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thread Question?????

I am just about to starat quilting my very first customer quilt and the thread she chose was a very colorful varigated thread that looks beautiful with the fabrics in the quilt. the backing material is white and we are using a white bobbin thread. The back looks like a dot to dot......is that acceptable in the world of Long Arm Quilting? I think it looks cool, you don't see stitches on the back, just colorful dots.

best to ask her, I would not like it on my quilt, I wold rather have same thread top/bottom

Did she choose the white bobbin thread? I agree with kathy, I'm a fan of the same thread on top and bottom. Check with her. That way if she ends up hating it, it'll be her fault not yours :D :D We don't want to see a post about how a woman sent her quilt to a LA and the LA didn't tell her about the colored dots appearing on the back :D

IMHO the bottom thread used should have been variegated too. I wouldn't want that on the back of my quilt. I match the top and bottom threads to avoid tension issues like this.

if dot's are showing through it is a sign the tension was just a bit 'off' and customer may be very unhappy; better contact her right away and show her to see if it is acceptable or not. i have had people happy with colors showing on their back and others who would rather change threads.

I would first try tightening up the top tension (or loosening the bottom tension) a tick at a time until those pokies disappear.

I assumed it was because the bobbin thread is so thin a 50 wt. That is what I was told I was suppose to use in the bobbin. The Top thread is a 40 weight. The top stitches look beautiful. I'll play with the tension a bit. I have not started quilting on the quilt yet.

you will have the best luck if your top and bottom thread are the same weight.

I called customer and let her know that I think we should use the same thread top and bottom and she agreed. I have the border done and its looking good so far. The stitches are beautiful in that varigated thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    you will have the best luck if your top and bottom thread are the same weight.
    Is this something that's particular to a long arm machine?

I've been wanting a longarm for a while now, but I always find something I don't like about them.

If long arm machines are this persnickety about thread, maybe I'd better stay with my old Singer.

It's hard work to haul a king size quilt through a domestic machine, but if I want to use perle cotton in the bobbin and size 100 silk in the top, I can do it. :) All my machines know that they'd dern well better sew what I give them to sew or they're out the door. :lol:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast