Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thread question

Blog Entries

Thread question

This probably sounds really stupid.... do you have to use 100% cotton thread with 100% cotton fabric? Or is a polyester/cotton blend ok?

Many quilters use only 100% cotton. I use a blend and it's fine. If you think about what will last longer, polyester will be around forever. The blend doesn't stretch and my quilts are washed many times.

Blog Entries
    The professionals recommend using cotton, but I always use Coats and Clarks dual duty polyester covered thread for quilting my cotton quilts. I had trouble awhile ago with a pink thread and I called the Coats and Clark Co. and they send me a new spool.

I had trouble with some black Coats & Clark thread yesterday , would have thoughtit was my day of sewing
    kept breaking and fraying . They might had a bad patch of thread
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

I have used both with no problems, use what you want, the polyester threads today are made better so you can use them for quilting with no problem. I use guttermans sew all polyester thread all the time and have never had issues

Blog Entries
    I was at LQS last week and the owner told me to use any kind of thread. What mattered most was that the thread color matched the material in the quilt. (We were doing hand work)
    Lucky Gemini

Hi,

I only use Aurifil thread for my piecing, works fantastic, seems to last a long time, and it's not a real "fuzzy" thread so
    it is great for my machines. It's 100% cotton and I use a couple shades of beige, black, and white...for the most part. I do have some colors, but those I use mostly for quilting. I love Aurifil!

Bev

Bev
    Our lives are like quilts....bits and pieces....joys and sorrows....stitched together with love.
    Babylock Crescendo, Elegante2, and Ellure.....for the love of sewing!

I also use Auriful for piecing, but quilting I use the polyester because it's stronger. I know Coats and Clark isn't as good as it was so I usually use Guterman polyester for that.

Blog Entries
    I don't think about what is the rule, I use whatever thread my machine likes. My machine is happy, I'm happy. Thread holds the fabric together and I found all thread does that so I don't fret over it.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    It is recommended to match thread with fabric because polyester thread can cut thru cotten fabric. I use Aurifil thread in my quilts. It's thinner and little to no lint.
    Judy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast