Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thread question

Blog Entries

Thread question

Has anyone ever used 100% rayon sulky thread on an all cotton quilt. It is a table runner for Xmas and I bought the thread because it has a nice sheen. But didn't realize until I was home it was rayon. I have only ever used cotton. Advise is greatly appreciated.

Power Poster
    I have used rayon thread on a wallhanging to machine quilt it. It was just soooo purdy! I wouldn't use it on a regular bed quilt because it does fray and would probably pop with heavy use. It should be fine for a table runner. Maybe a thread expert will chime in with expert advice.

The rayon will be fine for a table runner. It may loose some of it's sheen with repeated washing...I would recommend the poly embroidery thread for something that will be washed often.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Rayon, while it is suitable for embroidery, does not hold up well when it comes to machine quilting a project. The thread is more likely to break. How about using tribolal polyester thread; it has a nice sheen and is strong enough for machine quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
    Rayon, while it is suitable for embroidery, does not hold up well when it comes to machine quilting a project. The thread is more likely to break. How about using tribolal polyester thread; it has a nice sheen and is strong enough for machine quilting.
    i just found this out, using some beautiful Sulky on a machine quilt project. Snapped three times, even after reducing the tension. Had to go back to cotton.

I was told that Sulky is mostly used for embroidey machines, and not your typical sewing or quilting.
    LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

The rayon is great for applique, but for quilting, you may want to go with a cotton thread. You could try it to see if it works, but if you have any problems, make the switch. Also, if you want the rayon for the top, I would still use cotton thread in the bobbin.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Sulky Rayon is fine, super strong, I have used it LOTS and lots! It's fine on your bed quilts AND your runner. The runner is a great place for you to experiment though, you might decide you don't like the way it wears. I believe they used to say avoid Rayon because it wasn't colorfast...but that's not really true these days. I say, you're fine. If you love it, use it.

Edited to add - if you have problem with it breaking it doesn't have anything to do with the cotton, it's likely the needle. Use a nice fresh needle, I use 70/10 microtex sharps for Rayon thread, and usually a lower tension.
    Valerie Smith - Pumpkin Patch Quilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Blog Entries
    Just finished machine quilting a 56" square wall hanging using Sulky rayon. The thread broke exactly once, so I changed the needle. Never broke again.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Thanks for the needle advice, I wondered about that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast