Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Question >

Thread Question

Thread Question

Old 01-21-2016, 03:45 PM

Default Thread Question

Hi all. I posted a while back about being in the market for a new machine. I've decided on the Brother 420PRW. Has all the features I want at a good price.
My question comes from reading reviews and comments on Amazon about this machine, and Brother machines in general, they say that one should always use Brother bobbins or the thread will bunch up. Also, they recommend using fine, good quality thread. What exactly am I looking for when searching for 'good' thread? I typically buy my thread from Joann's, JP Coats, Dual Duty. And do I look for a specific weight? This will be for quilting, piecing, and some garment making.
Thanks!
Old 01-21-2016, 03:49 PM

I use a 50 wt. long staple cotton. Aurifil, Mettler and Prescencia. I like to try them all.
Sandy
Old 01-21-2016, 04:02 PM

I've never heard the thing about using only Brother bobbins. I didn't even know Brother made their own. I own 2 Brothers, a 270D and a PQ1500. I can use cardboard bobbins in either. However, if other owners of your particular machine say it's picky about bobbins, then I'd listen.

About thread.... I'm a HUGE fan of Bottom Line, which is a Superior Threads product. It's a 60 wt poly, I buy it by the 3000 yd cone. It's pretty much all I use anymore, except when I use my little 270D. Can't put a cone in her thread cartridge.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:08 PM

When I think of a good quilting thread, I think of a thread that doesn't create much lint, has a smooth feel to it, I can get locally, is strong, not thick, and my machine likes it. Some machines do not like all brands of thread, or some colors in some brands.

There are threads that are made specifically for quilters. The ones Sandygirl mentioned are fantastic, but if you have to order them online, that's an added expense and you can't see the thread first before buying. That's an issue if you are trying to get a specific thread color. I know one teacher who told us that she buys a neutral color and uses it for all her piecing. If you have a quilt store near you, visit it and talk to them about what kind of thread they stock and why they use it for quilting. Also, the thread you use for machine quilting and hand quilting are different too! The thread I started out with was Dual Duty. It was 50/50 cotton/poly at the time. Now it is 100% polyester.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

I have 2 brothers. There are two I use "off site". I use metal or plastic bobbins class 15. None of my machines are fussy about any kind of thread even with the two I use for FMQ. They are very nice machines and will sew anything.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:44 PM

Just as a side note, Aurifil does sell thread cards with samples of the actual thread of all 250+ of their colors. Takes the guesswork out of ordering threads online.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:47 PM

the 420 will use class 15 bobbins, however, Brother SA154 bobbins are recommended as they are slightly shorter than class 15.... about 1/32 of an inch. You can wind any thread on them you like. From JAF or Hancocks I buy Gutterman 100% cotton thread in 50 weight... but I usually buy Connecting Threads Essential (a bit linty but inexpensive and strong) or Aurifil (pricey but very low lint), I also like Superior King Tut or Signature cotton for quilting.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:03 PM
Gay

I have a couple of Brother sewing/embroidery machines and have never had a problem with various threads I use. Also have used bobbins from haberdashery section of non machine stores, and love the pre-wound bobbins. Some machines of recent years have 'taller' bobbins, and if used in a machine meant to use the shorter ones will catch the top thread and make a mess below, so take notice of which you have.
Some feet of Janome also are interchangeable with Brother, check the pin width (the part that clips onto the shaft)
I don't take much notice of what the stores say is the 'best' any more. They are just trying to sell you what they stock, but I prefer a thread that doesn't cause a lot of dust bunnies, which means poly/cotton or rayon.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I could NEVER use the threads you listed on my Bernina. I usually use Mettler Silk-finished thread (50/3) but have been using some Aurifil thread (50/2).
Old 01-22-2016, 02:22 PM

I have the PC420PRW and I put all kinds of thread through it. I just use the regular plastic bobbins that are made for that machine, haven't tried any of the pre-wound one. Mine isn't at all picky about thread. I've put Coats and Clark Dual Duty, Gutermans, various of the Superior Threads, Madeira rayon, Isacord poly, Aurifil 50 cotton, etc. and it has handled them all very well. I've also used vintage, antique thread that I get off Ebay and it does fine with that too. Let's see, Oh, I have also used some upholstery thread (can't remember the number that tells weight) but I wouldn't recommend doing that too often as the machine isn't really built to handle upholstery. I know there are a lot of folks out there writing that the machine is picky about thread, but I just haven't found that to be the case.

Rob