Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread question >

Thread question

Thread question

Old 02-03-2016, 07:34 AM

Default Thread question

I have a quilting machine, and use polyester thread in it, it seems to be skipping a lot of stitches! It is so frustrating. I have done everything I can possible think of to make it stop. I finally thought maybe if I change the thread it may make a difference. I found a polyester thread that seems to be thinner than the one I was using (From Connecting threads ) ! I think it is working in my machine better...how many thicknesses of polyester are there..? Anyone else have this trouble..?
Old 02-03-2016, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

You didn't mention the type of DSM you have. My Bernina needs to go in for servicing about every 12 to 18 months. I know others have used polyester thread, but I need to use a good quality thread on my Bernina so I use Mettler silk-finish and Aurifil.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

When I have skipped stitches, it's usually from the wrong needle size for the thread I'm using. The weight of the thread , not the type, determines the size of sewing thread.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Skipped stitches can be due to several things. Wrong needle size is one. The machine not being timed properly is another. I'm assuming you are not using a DSM since you referenced a quilting machine. Since the needle moves at a high speed, any flexing of the needle as the machine moves can prevent the stitch being formed. A larger needle is less likely to flex and might solve your problem.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:15 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Skipped stitches can be due to several things. Wrong needle size is one. The machine not being timed properly is another. I'm assuming you are not using a DSM since you referenced a quilting machine. Since the needle moves at a high speed, any flexing of the needle as the machine moves can prevent the stitch being formed. A larger needle is less likely to flex and might solve your problem.
Lordy, we have some smart people on this board!! Thanks, Dunster.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:42 PM

Love this board; love learning from other's questions.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:24 PM

I'm also thinking you are talking about a mid or long arm? Dunster has your answer for this. But know that there are many different poly threads--i.e. 50# So-fine is much thinner than #30 So-Fine, and the trilobals like Glide are thicker than #50 So Fine, Bottomline,etc. And thus would use a different size needled--I use an 18 for Glide, but a 16 for #50 So-fine. Hope that helps.