Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread question >

Thread question

Thread question

Old 01-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Hello all -

I need help from the experts, so I'm coming to you. I'd like to place a thread order from Connecting Threads. I would like to buy enough threads to quilt several lap-sized quilts, and also stock up on some neutral thread for piecing.

1st question: How much thread does it take to quilt a small quilt?

2nd question: The cones (5,000 yds) look huge. Will they be too big to put on the machine's spool (Pfaff 1200)? Along the same line, will the spool (1,200 yds) fit in the machine's spool tray (Pfaff 2038 and 1475)?

3rd question: I understand I want to use 100% cotton for quilting. Is this true? If not, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using another type?

Thanks for all your help.

Darren
Old 01-09-2010, 06:31 PM

My machine won't take the big cones, but will accomodate the other spools. They last quite a while (smaller spools) and I am sure you could do a couple quilts with one of them, depending on the size.

I love Connecting Threads. they have great customer service and they are quick with their delivery. Not to mention, their prices are great too!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

I use the smaller spools and one of them will quilt a king size quilt with some left over. I haven't tried the spools yet.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by wesing
1st question: How much thread does it take to quilt a small quilt?
It depends on what type of quilting you're going to do. For example, free-motion quilting would take more thread than say just stitch in the ditch. But generally, you could probably make 3-4 small lap quilts with a single spool.

2nd question: The cones (5,000 yds) look huge. Will they be too big to put on the machine's spool (Pfaff 1200)? Along the same line, will the spool (1,200 yds) fit in the machine's spool tray (Pfaff 2038 and 1475)?
Not sure if it'll fit your machine, but you could but a cone holder with the arm that sticks up in the air and then thread it over to your machine. I love the large cones and have one of every color that CT makes. Actually, I also love ALL of the CT thread and bought every set they made also. Really nice not to have to worry much about matching thread when I want it!

3rd question: I understand I want to use 100% cotton for quilting. Is this true? If not, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using another type?
I believe that's true and the reason I've heard is that polyester thread can cut into cotton fabric over time, like razors sort of, weakening the fabric.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 PM

I agree with what has already been posted. Unless you plan on doing a lot of quilts there really is no need to buy a lot of the big cones of thread, at least not right away. ;) I too have bought all the sets of thread CT makes. I hate the invisible thread (which is nylon or polyester) and after using it in a class to make a couple of blocks I gave it away and vowed never to use it again. Instead I match my thread when appliquing and use it for quilting. I do notice it tends to be a bit linty with my machine but since I clean it out frequently I don't worry about it. One spool will cover the quilting for a queen sized quilt. I don't normally do utility style quilting, which is straight lines or simply enough to keep everything down. I like doing designs and things like feathers, which take a bit more thread. I've never run out of thread when starting a project with a new spool and I haven't used one color enough to need to buy it in the cone size. Of course, this is the year for me to get a bunch of UFOs done so I may change my mind about that before the end of the year.

I use only 100% cotton when piecing and mostly when doing applique and for the exact reason above, the man-made threads are so much stronger than the cotton fabric that over time it will rub and cut the fabric. Now this could take 5 years or 30, but either way I don't want to have to redo a quilt later on because I didn't use the proper thread to begin with. This used to be very true of older threads but I'm told the new threads, such as the ones put out by Superior, aren't supposed to do this to our fabrics. Still, I'd rather not learn the hard way that it isn't true so I just stick to the 100% cotton thread as much as possible.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:53 PM

Does anyone use rayon?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:03 AM

I am fairly new to quilting and also love the Connecting Threads thread. I got several set at Christmas and now have every set! I am amazed at how long they last. The only color I buy more of is white, black, neutral and gray.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
I agree with what has already been posted. Unless you plan on doing a lot of quilts there really is no need to buy a lot of the big cones of thread, at least not right away. ;) I too have bought all the sets of thread CT makes. I hate the invisible thread (which is nylon or polyester) and after using it in a class to make a couple of blocks I gave it away and vowed never to use it again. Instead I match my thread when appliquing and use it for quilting. I do notice it tends to be a bit linty with my machine but since I clean it out frequently I don't worry about it. One spool will cover the quilting for a queen sized quilt. I don't normally do utility style quilting, which is straight lines or simply enough to keep everything down. I like doing designs and things like feathers, which take a bit more thread. I've never run out of thread when starting a project with a new spool and I haven't used one color enough to need to buy it in the cone size. Of course, this is the year for me to get a bunch of UFOs done so I may change my mind about that before the end of the year.

I use only 100% cotton when piecing and mostly when doing applique and for the exact reason above, the man-made threads are so much stronger than the cotton fabric that over time it will rub and cut the fabric. Now this could take 5 years or 30, but either way I don't want to have to redo a quilt later on because I didn't use the proper thread to begin with. This used to be very true of older threads but I'm told the new threads, such as the ones put out by Superior, aren't supposed to do this to our fabrics. Still, I'd rather not learn the hard way that it isn't true so I just stick to the 100% cotton thread as much as possible.
I agree.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
Does anyone use rayon?
I haven't tried it yet. I have something of a fear of different types of threads and what they are used for. That said, I read a great article in the AQS magazine on a gal who does this amazing satin stitching with her quilts. She uses rayon thread because of how shiny and shimmery it is. I'd like to give it a try in some of my quilting (not piecing or applique!) and see how it works.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

A lot of professional and award winning long armers use poly thread. It doesn't lint up their machines and it's strong and can take the fast speed. But the award winning well know quilters use whatever thread that they are spokeperson for! So I don't put much stock in their choices. Connecting Threads cone is a great value. I like the new Glide thread for machine quilting. It's from FilTec and not expensive. http://www.bobbincentral.com/Quiltin...lies_s/233.htm
If you don't have a cone holder, use big jar to hold the cone.