Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thread question

Joe
    Is it OK to use polyester thread? If no is it ok to use it for piecing only?

I always use 100% cotton thread. Apparently polyester thread can cut into the seams - although I don't know this for a fact. You might find this article of use -

http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/thread.htm

You can use any thread you want to use. Try various kinds and you will eventually have a preference. I like to use cotton but I can use any thread that's strong enough. There are no quilt police!

Blog Entries
    Traditionally cotton thread was preferred for piecing because the polyester threads were stronger and therefore could cut through the weaker cotton fibers. However, nowadays many polyester threads are just as weak (or weaker) than cotton threads. In any case, thread is not just thread; brand matters as well as type.

A good place to learn about threads is http://www.superiorthreads.com

Blog Entries
    I always use cotton thread, with some of the reason being more even shrinkage, matching fabric with thread, etc. Personal preference is what matters.

guess im bad...i use cotton, rayon, polyester, silk, wool threads, and some blends...cotton/poly...silk/rayon ect...i have my favorites for different projects and think that you can use any thread you like as long as it does what you want it to do...

Joe
    I had heard that the polyester thread would tear the cotton fabric. I heard this only after using a cotton coated polyester thread to piece together 6 blocks.

Blog Entries
    Bottom Line and So Fine are all poly. Many of the name brand thinner threads are. Poly doesn't have the bad rep it use to. I wouldn't use the $1 spool of poly on any quilt though.

I think you can use whatever works best for you. Stay away from super cheap threads and they are usually weak and won't hold up in a quilt.

And they are more linty in your bobbin area. I find the better cotton threads are better liked by my machine and don't cause me near the problems of some of the others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast