Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: thread racks

I use several thread racks for hundreds of spools of thread, organized for piecing, quilting, embroidery, denim, etc. They are not exposed to sunlight, and I hang plastic wrap over them to keep the dust off. I like to be able to see all of the variety to choose from.

I think the racks look so pretty with all the thread colors, but I put mine away. My room is very sunny, and I was afraid of the thread getting faded and dusty, too. Now I keep them in drawers in boxes sorted by use or brand.
    SittingPretty

I use the Sterilite 3 drawer stacking boxes for my cotton and embroidery threads, my serger threads are in a large 3 drawer rolling cabinet from Sterilite.

Blog Entries
    I use thread racks. If the thread ever gets faded I'll just unwind the top layer and toss it. I take a feather duster to the spools every now and then.
    Got fabric?

I have 1 thread rack that I use for the threads that I use the most. The rest of my thread is in plastic boxes...the ones for hotwheel cars. I have one for cotton thread 50 weight, one for 60 weight, and another for specialty threads (wool, 30 weight, rayon, etc.

That is exactly what I do. I have 3 racks, cut plastic to cover and thumb tacked it to the top so I just have to lift it up to get the thread. Works great. I glued skinny straws to the posts so I can store bobbins on top of the spools.
    Janice
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

I have a small thread rack by my machine and keep just the basics on it for piecing work. White, Black, Tan/Beige, Gray, etc.
    Everything else is in plastic totes made for thread storage.

I have mine in plastic drawers.

Banned
    I use cases designed for "hot wheels" cars for my threads, this way they go with me when I take a class

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2