Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: thread racks

Blog Entries

thread racks

who uses them and if so does it effect the thread by exposing them to light??? Do you cover them with anything??
    I have a thread rack but was told it would not be good for the thread I need help

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    My Mom and some quilting friends have thread racks. I've never heard any complaints. I would just keep them out of the sun if you can help it. Because I don't have a sewing room, I keep my threads in a plastic thread bin. Easy to move around and put away from the sun if needed. I would think if you couldn't move them out of the sun, putting a sheet over it or some other fabric to block the light?
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Blog Entries
    I got several containers for mine, like briefcases. they close. keeps the dust off, my main concern. and perhaps helps the thread not dry out too. it's very dry where I live. got mine at JoAnn's mostly. maybe by Sulky. I gave most of my hanging racks away.

I keep mine in acid free photo boxes, glued extra long golf tee's to bottom slip spool on has room on top for bobbin thread to. keeps dust and sun out.

Blog Entries
    I have my threads on racks hanging on my wall and I don't cover them. They hang on the same wall as my only window so they never get direct sunlight. I cover the nozzle on my vacuumn with a piece of pantyhose and dust them when I vacuumn my floor. I've not had any issues with fading or breaking.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    thanks for all the information I think I will try mine out I could always put clear plastic vinyl over the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
    who uses them and if so does it effect the thread by exposing them to light??? Do you cover them with anything??
    I have a thread rack but was told it would not be good for the thread I need help

My dining room is my sewing room, so I just keep my thread in a plastic container
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I had to quit using my thread racks when I shared my sewing room with my cats. They got litter dust and fine hair on them. Now I have a new sewing room and I am using the racks again. Racks hang on same wall as window and no sunlight. I bought them to use and now I am.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I would be concerned about dust. All of my thread is in plastic boxes. My sister has the thread rack and several spindles snapped off of it. She switched to boxes.
    Anne L. Fulton

Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake.

My embroidery thread is in plastic boxes. My sewing/quilting thread is on thread racks which are located on the same wall as the window. I don't cover my thread but can see that it might be nice to sew some clear plastic covers to hang over the thread - to keep cat hair and dust off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast