Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thread recommendation for decorator fabric tote

Thread recommendation for decorator fabric tote

I am making a tote bag using decorator fabric, quilting cotton lining, and shape-flex pellon. I have Coats&Clark dual duty thread. Not sure if this would hold up well, or if I should get cotton thread or poly thread or a better brand. Could you recommend what type (cotton or poly) and/or brand of thread would be best?

I use serger thread on my regular machine. Have never had a problem with it.

When I make tapestry bags, I use upholstery thread. It's nice and strong,heavy, as the fabric was also heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Denise S View Post
    I am making a tote bag using decorator fabric, quilting cotton lining, and shape-flex pellon. I have Coats&Clark dual duty thread. Not sure if this would hold up well, or if I should get cotton thread or poly thread or a better brand. Could you recommend what type (cotton or poly) and/or brand of thread would be best?
    I am going to the store tonight....any other recommendations?

Nothing wrong with good ol' C&C. They have something called button twist or buttonhole thread (forgot the exect name) which is also thicker. There is also jeans thread in limited colors which works great for heavy fabrics.

Oh and don't forget to get bigger needles!

Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    Oh and don't forget to get bigger needles!
    How about a 16 universal needle? Or should I get a jeans or topstitch needle?

I personally would go with the topstitch thread - always seems to work for me. If I was sewing on denim, I would get the jeans needle.