Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread recommendations >

Thread recommendations

Thread recommendations

Old 05-26-2013, 03:20 AM

Default Thread recommendations

What do you use? I was told I could use the thread for sergers and that is what I have been using for 3 years. I just purchased a new Pfaff and was told not to use that thread.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:27 AM

Superior Threads has a fantastic site with loads of information on threads and tension.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/

I still use serger thread for piecing. Mainly because it is there, I have tons of it and it works. I will say though that the thread is thick and makes the seams a little thicker. I probably would be happier if I switched to a thread like superiors masterpiece....lol, but too lazy still!

I would recommend trying different threads, find which one works best for you. It really depends on what you are doing.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-26-2013, 03:37 AM

I use serger thread all the time, haven't had a problem with it. I use it in both my Pfaff & my bernina 830. Try it & see is the only way to go.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:08 AM

For piecing, I use Connecting Threads. For machine quilting I use Glide. I love, love LOVE Glide thread... no lint and it quilts absolutely beautifully. Both are economical and Connecting Threads tends to run sales. I buy their white, off white and black on the cones for piecing. I do have a few of their color sets for when I need something other than the basics and it has served me well.

It also depends on your budget too. I no longer use serger thread - I was told the same thing, that it was okay to use, and I have found it really just doesn't stand up and it breaks too often when I machine quilt.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:22 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I use 50 wt. thread on my sewing machines and really like how thin the thread is. It makes the seams lightweight also. I use cones of Presencia thread.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:29 AM

Me and my machines LOVE thead from connecting thread! Can't beat the price and the quality. I recently bought Coat & Clark cotton thread and do not like it. It is not as "silky" as CT thread so I will not buy again.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:53 AM

If I'm piecing where it needs to be really accurate as far as the size of the block, especially when it's a small block, I will always use Aurifil. I had a problem several yrs ago when doing civil war blocks they'd never be the right size. My teacher checked my seam allowance and they were spot on. She then recommended Aurifil, its only two ply where most are 3ply. I never would have thought this would make that much of difference but OMG what a difference it makes. My blocks started being the size intended. It is also a great thread for quilting,even FMQ works great. Low lint. I also like connecting threads thread too. I use my serger thread to so embroidery with when I don't want to use the more expensive rayon thread. I had to play around with needle size to get it where it didn't break but now its great. I love to make free standing lace baskets or ornaments with it; very cost effective and I don't need it to be shiny like it is from rayon thread and its cheaper for those baskets, etc that the kids will just play with. You will always have people telling you what not to use and what to use. If it works for you then go for it. Your machine won't care; usually
Old 05-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Aurifil 50wt thread is my absolute favorite for piecing. It is very smooth and takes up little in the seam so that my blocks are more accurate with it. It produces *much* less lint than other cotton threads. It is fine, so the bobbin holds more of it, making bobbin changes less frequent. Although it seems pricey per spool, if you compare how many yards are in a spool it is actually good value for what you get. I waited years before trying this thread because of the cost per spool, but once I tried it I won't use other thread for piecing. (I also love this thread for machine quilting on my domestic machine.)

If you compare a strand of serger thread with a strange of Aurifil, you will see some big differences. The serger thread will appear fuzzy; the Aurifil will be smooth. That fuzziness is what produces lint in your sewing machine.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=Prism99;6086175]Aurifil 50wt thread is my absolute favorite for piecing. It is very smooth and takes up little in the seam so that my blocks are more accurate with it. It produces *much* less lint than other cotton threads. It is fine, so the bobbin holds more of it, making bobbin changes less frequent. Although it seems pricey per spool, if you compare how many yards are in a spool it is actually good value for what you get. I waited years before trying this thread because of the cost per spool, but once I tried it I won't use other thread for piecing. (I also love this thread for machine quilting on my domestic machine.)

If you compare a strand of serger thread with a strange of Aurifil, you will see some big differences. The serger thread will appear fuzzy; the Aurifil will be smooth. That fuzziness is what produces lint in your sewing machine.[/QUOTE

I also like Aurifil 50 wt for both piecing and machine quilting.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 PM

I use Aruifil for piecing and many times use King Tut for quilting. I never use serger thread for piecing.