Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 72

Thread: Thread in Septic Tank?

  1. #1
    Senior Member didi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SE Alabama
    Posts
    746
    Blog Entries
    1
    Someone mentioned washing quilts if you have a septic tank.
    I have noticed when I wash my quilts after sewing them, I get alot of thread in my washer. At least when I do the Rag Quilts. Does this hurt my septic tank???

  2. #2
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,324
    Never thought of that, I just did a rag quilt and we have a septic, gonna watch the responses.

  3. #3
    Super Member Connie in CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Canon City, Colorado
    Posts
    2,438
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quilts are made of cotton,wouldn't that just go away with the the stuff you flush down once a month?Does that make since?

  4. #4
    Super Member KathyAire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,410
    When I made a rag quilt, someone at one of the quilting classes told me 'if you have a septic system (as opposed to city waste system), wash your rag quilts at the laundromat'. That has always stuck with me and that is what I do. Don't know if it's true or not, but I do know there is not too many things worse than septic problems.

  5. #5
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    Quilts are made of cotton,wouldn't that just go away with the the stuff you flush down once a month?Does that make since?
    The once a month stuff is - Rid-X
    We had to use it when we lived in IN. and had a septic system.
    I've also been told to wash the rag quilts at a laundromat.

  6. #6
    Super Member LindaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,812
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    Quilts are made of cotton,wouldn't that just go away with the the stuff you flush down once a month?Does that make since?
    The once a month stuff is - Rid-X
    We had to use it when we lived in IN. and had a septic system.
    I've also been told to wash the rag quilts at a laundromat.
    I was told to take to laundromat too..never at home???

  7. #7
    Member ConnieSue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    39
    I just recently washed a rag quilt for the first time. I knew it might clog my pipes so I cut the lower part of a sheer panty hose( about 10 inches) and attached it with a rubber band to the end of the hose that drains my washer. Whew!! Good thing I did cause it was almost full of threads by the time they cycle finished. This worked great for me

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ft. Myers, Florida
    Posts
    1,034
    I also take my rag quilts to the laundrymat for the first 2 washes especially if they're going to be gifted (I like the way they look after a couple of washes)

  9. #9
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnieSue
    I just recently washed a rag quilt for the first time. I knew it might clog my pipes so I cut the lower part of a sheer panty hose( about 10 inches) and attached it with a rubber band to the end of the hose that drains my washer. Whew!! Good thing I did cause it was almost full of threads by the time they cycle finished. This worked great for me
    Smart cookie!! Do that when/if you felt wool sweaters, too!

  10. #10
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rid-X is NOT necessary if you have a septic system. All it is is a form of yeast that naturally forms anyway. Experts will tell you that you really don't need it. What you want to avoid is bleach and other anti-bacterial products, which will kill the bacteria necessary for the breakdown of solids in the septic tank. Adding something like Rid-X after using bleach isn't going to help, because the bleach will kill the bacteria in Rid-X too.

    Cotton is not going to hurt your septic, because it is biodegradable. It's going to rot away. The problem would be that until it does, if you do many rag quilts, you could at least temporarily clog your leach field and cause problems. I would think the problem would be if you're not using a 100% natural batting. Polyester fibers are not going to degrade, they WILL cause problems.

    All in all, the laundromat is not a bad idea...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.