Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Stand >

Thread Stand

Thread Stand

Old 06-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

Love Love Love the Superior thread stand. Watch this video to understand the winding of the thread off the spool.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/video...thread-holder/
Old 06-06-2014, 04:05 AM

I have a 440 and I also have a free standing thread stand that holds 1 spool of thread. I have used it with metallic thread as well as putting the thread in a coffee mug behind the machine. The most important part of using metallic thread is having the correct needle. You can find charts for needles on many of the thread sites as well as on the needle sites. I keep my metallic needles separate from the others and only use them for metallic thread. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:46 AM

I use this little trick and it works every time for me - take one of those little peanut shaped polystyrene things they use for packing - you can buy them in Staples or any store like that (I'm mean I save mine when it comes in packages etc and they last a while before needing to be replaced) thread a needle pass through it the middle of the peanut making sure the thread comes through with ease thread machine as normal and hey presto you will find that any metallic thread will not twist. As you already have a good stand why waste money
Old 06-07-2014, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers View Post
This is what I have on my wish list for when I learn my embroidery machine.

http://www.sewingsupplywarehouse.com/stacknstitch.html
That's handy. I like the fact you don't have to remove the spool from the holder to use it. But, it only holds the small spools. Most of mine are larger.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:16 AM

I used to try to use metallic thread with my Pfaff (and my Singer too), never had any luck. Then I had a friend (she is the reason I quilt and she knows it, another story), told me to put the metallic thread in my bobbin. I did this (it takes a little getting used too), but it works. You are looking at the back when you sew, but it has worked best for me. Good luck
Old 06-07-2014, 06:15 AM

I concur that Sewer's aid is great to use when sewing with metallic thread.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:50 AM

I taped a paper clip (for a thread guide) to the top rear of my machine, and put my thread cones in a small finished ceramic planter. Works for me.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:12 AM

I would get the superior thread stand if you really want one it is more versatile and much more economical. However like others here I use a cup or large glass or canning jar. Depending where I am I have even set the cone on the floor! But metallics are another thing try sewing normally first to see how it does. The brand, the age of thread (many new advances in manufacturing of thread make it easier to use) the type of metallic it is all effect how it sews. The tip of using it in the bobbin is really great and saved my sanity more than once. If your thread sews fine but keeps breaking every so often the bobbin is the cure! Sewers Aid is a great product, but DO NOT over use. Also try a larger eyed needle such as a top stitch needle as well as a larger size. Such as Top Stitch size 16 to 18. Have fun creating and let us know how it turns out and what worked best for you.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers View Post
This is what I have on my wish list for when I learn my embroidery machine.

http://www.sewingsupplywarehouse.com/stacknstitch.html
Amazon has that stack n stitch cheaper than shown in that link, at least with my Amazon prime.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

How is buying a quality product that will do the job you want it to do a waste of money? That doesn't make any sense to me.