Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:12 AM

I'm having a longarm set up next week and want to get some thread to use on it. Golden Threads is having a sale and I was wondering if anyone has ordered from them and if their thread is good. The thread I'm considering is Tex 30 (poly wrapped poly core). I'm really a novice on thread. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynn
Old 07-19-2011, 04:46 AM

Hello Lynn,
I haven't ordered from GoldenThreads but have thought about it. I am a relative newbie so still finding what thread works best for me and my machine. I have used the 40 wt PermaCore but recently found I like the 30 wt better. I had only one break with my last quilt which is a vast imporovement.

Did you place an order? What did you think about the shipping time and rates?

Linda
Old 07-19-2011, 05:03 AM

I haven't placed an order yet. I'm a newbie to the "quilting part" of quilting. It scares me. I'm always afraid I'll cross over a line or get boxed in. The new longarm is sitting up in my sewing room ..... just looking at me.

Lynn :roll:
Old 07-19-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by lynndianne
I haven't placed an order yet. I'm a newbie to the "quilting part" of quilting. It scares me. I'm always afraid I'll cross over a line or get boxed in. The new longarm is sitting up in my sewing room ..... just looking at me.

Lynn :roll:
We should get our frames together so they could keep each other company. I got mine over a year ago. First of all let me say that mine is a Gracie steel frame but it only does small quilts; lap, baby, runners, etc. I picked it up at a used sale from a LQS and figured I could use it to learn on and see how I like it. I even got thier practice quilt on it. I put my one machine on it the first day and couldn't do much because of the small throat space. I got a viking mega quilter to go on it but still haven't gotten around to using it; I just ordered a walking foot so next week when it comes in; I'm starting the practising. I have quilted on my regular machine doing cross hatch and SITD and outlining. On all of these I used Aurofil; not one thread breakage. I love this stuff and I know that Viking recommends it in the mega quilter. The staff at the LQS loves to free motion on this machine and she hasn't had any problems using this thread. I don't see alot of problems w/lint as w/alot of cotton threads. I am going to talk to my one teacher this week who has been long arm quilting for several years and was able to go out of state for classes; there aren't any around here or I would have already taken them. I'm going to get her input on the different threads. She's like me as she wants it done right but she isn't going to spend any more money or time than needed. Some threads are really expensive but that doesn't mean they are the best for "your machine" which is the main point. My sewing machine loves all threads but I've seen others that are really picky and I've heard long arms are the same way. I don't know if you have checked out the following web site but she does alot of demos for quilting and she uses isocord thread; I like her videos.
http://www.daystyledesigns.com/
Old 07-19-2011, 05:33 AM

Thanks Judy....I'll check that out. I have to get busy on it. I have managed to pick out a pattern and resize and fit it to a space I drew on the "practice quilt"....once. The tech guy said it's so easy...just don't this or that....which I immediately did.
Hopeless tech challenged person.

Lynn
Old 07-19-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by lynndianne
Thanks Judy....I'll check that out. I have to get busy on it. I have managed to pick out a pattern and resize and fit it to a space I drew on the "practice quilt"....once. The tech guy said it's so easy...just don't this or that....which I immediately did.
Hopeless tech challenged person.

Lynn
good luck with it. I wish I could find classes round here and I would take them; for a confidence booster I think. I have a book on quilting that my teacher loaned me and you make 14in square sandwhich blocks to practice on and I have some cheap muslin from walmarts so I'll practice on that.