Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 PM

I hope I am posting this is the right section, if not I am so sorry and hope someone will let me know.

I was recently gifted with about 20 spools of size 2 thread. This thread is to thick to go through the eye of the needle of a regular sewing machine. I have a heavy duty Consew commercial stright stitch machine but the thread is also to thick to go through the eye of the needle on it . Can someone tell me what type of machine uses this size thread? Is it possible to buy a needle with a larger eye to fit the commercial machine? If so, would I use the size 2 thread on the top portion of the machine or would I use it in the bobbin? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Power Poster

The size 2 thread I have is for sewing heavy canvas using an upholstery hand needle. 20 spools is a lot! I hope you find the right machine needle.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Power Poster

wow, that is a very thick thread. i hope you find a use for it all.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 AM

Have you thought about putting it in a bobbin and doing something with it that way? Mind you I don't suppose you would get much on a bobbin if it's that thick!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 AM

I agree, that's really thick thread! That kind of thickness can have an effect on your seams and the accuracy of your piecing....
Old 07-19-2011, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

wow= that is not sewing machine thread...unless you have a commercial machine for working on canvas-
with a darning needle (hand needle) you might be able to use it for some hand work (like blanket stitch or big stitch quilting)
my nephew messed up and bought 12 weight once- he thought would be good for quilting---NOT---it's too heavy-
even if you actually found a needle with an eye large enough- i would be very worried about what it would do the my tension disks- the route of threading in my machine- i would think it could really mess things up- tension never be the same again.
just my h.o. I know the 12 weight was not usable at all in my viking- i called the viking shop and asked questions- they told me (for my machine) i should not be using any thread heavier than about 30 weight- if i didn't want to have problems