Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread ??? >

Thread ???

Thread ???

Old 10-25-2012, 06:22 AM

Default Thread ???

I bought three spools of thread this weekend. It is Gutermann Bulky Nylon and it came on a small cone shaped spool. I just got it opened and think it may be serger thread. It is beautiful on the spool, but expands and becomes really fine when it unrolls. Is it ok to use this in my regular machine? I have a new Pfaff Ambition Essential and I don't want to ruin it! Thanks!!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

This thread was featured at a nearby LQS Christmas in July program. If I remember right, it was for use for a special technique in a serger machine. I can't remember exactly what the outcome was for using it. Not much help I know but the store owner was raving about it.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:36 AM
Banned

Not a good thread for piecing. I'd return the 2 unopened cones and choose some regular piecing thread. I use Aurifil or Presencia on top and Superior Threads' Bottom Line in the bobbin. Lots of sewers on the Board use Coats and Clark and are happy with it.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:38 AM

Bulky nylon is the same as other manufacturers' wooly nylon. It is stretchy so that it fills in the serger stitches when it relaxes and creates a nice edge when you narrow hem or roll hem items (like napkin edges). I've only used it on the serger for rolled hems and it's great for that. I don't know what it would do in your DSM but I'm pretty sure the tension would be a nightmare.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
Bulky nylon is the same as other manufacturers' wooly nylon. It is stretchy so that it fills in the serger stitches when it relaxes and creates a nice edge when you narrow hem or roll hem items (like napkin edges). I've only used it on the serger for rolled hems and it's great for that. I don't know what it would do in your DSM but I'm pretty sure the tension would be a nightmare.

Pam, it basically fell apart when I tried using it. I was trying a decorative stitch to go around a quilt with a fleece back.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:24 AM

This thread can be used in the bobbin for fancy stitching. What you have to do is sew on the back of your piece of work with your bobbin thread on the top spool. Useless for piecing, but gives a lovely effect for all fancy work. Of course it is really meant for an overlocker.