Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: thread

Question thread

Do they still make thread that is still labeled 40 50 or 60? All i ever see is MM. Does it really matter, cause some threads i get at Wal Mart don't work as well as what i get at B SewInn. It's all mm
    Fredwtb3........ Friendship and Love is the only cement that will ever hold this world together.

The thread I buy is labeled with 20 through 60 or so. I have not seen MM. I buy my thread at LQS

I have ordered threads online.Even got 100 for applique. 60 for applique also. Just got some Auriful 50 that many quilters say is the bomb for piecing. All the MM thread I have is embroidery thread for my machine. I have used it for quilting because I like the sheen and colors

Power Poster
    What is MM thread?

Blog Entries
    The 40/50/60 are thread sizes based on a weight measurement; the higher the number, the finer the thread.

I have never seen MM on thread spools, unless possibly you mean mm as in millimeter? The amount of thread on a spool or cone is typically given in either yards or meters, but meters is a single m.

Probably all of the thread I buy has the weight, ply and length on it. For example, Aurifil 50/2 is 50-weight 2-ply (my favorite for both piecing and quilting on my domestic machine). Standard sewing thread that I grew up with is 50/3. It may be that this is such a standard thread size now that some companies do not bother to label it that way. Maybe?
    Last edited by Prism99; 11-07-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    I know that Coats & Clark doesn't put the weight on their spools but they have a chart that you can reference that will give you the weights http://www.coatsandclark.com/NR/rdon...threadsize.pdf
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    i found this article on thread sizes http://designer-entrepreneurs.com/bl...read_Sizes.htm but it doesn't really explain the MM

i found many other sites that use MM as the 'size' designation, but these are mostly nylon threads, as in mono-filament.
    Nancy in western NY

Yes, Fred, they still make thread with the weight on the label. Sometimes it's pretty cryptic, just a number, but sometimes you'll see 50wt. I try to avoid WalMart thread in general, because as you said, it's not always good quality. But once I find a good quality thread, I buy it in quantity. Love that Aurifil! Yes, it's expensive but I have never had a problem with it and it doesn't clog my bobbin area.

Don't have a clue about the "mm" although a single m would indicate length in meters, as mentioned earlier.
    Dorothy in PA